Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raptor666

Black spots, white spots, on cantaloupe leaves

Raptor666
9 years ago

I finally got a day to plant the cantaloupe I bought 2 weeks ago and I notice there's white and black spots on the leaves. The black dots are tiny, less tan a pinhead; I'm assuming is some kind of mildew. I thought it was splatters of black paint wirst, dunno from what, but it's not. The white spots, I remember seeing before in a picture on the Internet but for the life of me I can't remember what it is or what to do about it. Neither can be rubbed off. I've been leaving them in sun for 8-12 hours, bringing them under cover when it storms, and watering at the base of the plants when dry.

Of the two, which looks the healthiest to plant?

Edit: The forum is shrinking the pics too small to see details, so here's some pics on photofucket. Clicky the pic to embiggen.

Left:
{{gwi:65916}}

Right:
{{gwi:65917}}

Both:
{{gwi:65918}}

This post was edited by Raptor666 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 12:37

Comments (7)

• Raptor666
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate. Can't delete posts here?

This post was edited by Raptor666 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 15:14

• Raptor666
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A third.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

I think they are just stressed due to being left in tiny containers for two weeks. It's best to direct seed cucurbits (melons, squashes and cucumbers). But if they are started in containers, they need to be carefully planted in the ground as soon as possible, without disturbing the roots. Your plants look healthy enough. I would get them in the ground (or permanent containers, if you prefer), water well and watch and wait. Don't stress them further by spraying with a fungicide now.

• Raptor666
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah didn't know that when I bought them on impulse. Saw 'em at Home Depot and was like, "Yeah, I'd like some of those." Been working down the row, planting the tomatoes, peppers, etc. Doesn't help that everything is clay! (See pic: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg061246098308.html?15 ). I've just been winging this whole thing.

I'm only planting one. Got a mound 4in high and about 3ft wide with a lot of manure worked in and about 2 shovel-fulls of Miracle Gro garden soil. I've read variously to fertilize because they are heavy feeders and others that say don't fertilize a lot if at all (I forget why not), so I'm taking a middle road (I know that's a logical fallacy, the middle road is not necessarily the truth, but it seems like a good compromise is this case).

Wondering if I should peel away as much of the peat pot as I can (after soaking it ofc) since peat is very acidic; I dunno about peat pots though. The last tomato I planted though had a lot of roots growing through the peat pot, guessing it probably true for these guys.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Peel away the peat pot? YES!! Those things are horrible.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Can you plant both in the same hill about 10-12 inches apart? Then, in a couple weeks, you could remove the smaller or weaker one by cutting it off at the base rather than pulling or digging it up. There are often problems with small cucurbits when you first plant out, like insects or root damage. If you have both in the ground to begin, you have a better chance of ending up with a healthy one.

• Raptor666
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess you can't tell from the pics but there's actually 6 individuals in each pot, so I was planning on planting one pot, and snipping off the weakest 3 from that group after a week or two. I don't have the space for 2nd pot atm, so back it goes!

All this talk of this and that pot... starting to get the munchies. ;p

Edit: On closer inspection, it might be 3 plants with 2 stalks each forming a V shape that meet below the dirt. Is that normal for cantaloupes? Not familiar with out they grow. These are Super Hybrid 45, btw.

While I'm on it, can I use a black construction (garbage) bag cut open and with weep holes punched to cover the mound? I've read to cover the mounds with tarp or clear plastic but I don't have anything like that but the black construction bag.

This post was edited by Raptor666 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 16:01