Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is getting my zucchini? Fungus?

Posted by nifferous OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 10:52

I'm a pretty new gardener, so bear with me! I went out this morning and found my zucchini wilted and dying. It looked fine 2 days ago. It looks like there is some sort of yellowish-orange stuff on the main vein. What is it and did this kill the plant? I have a straighneck squash next to this that looks like it has the stuff on it and a few leaves are dying.

This is what the plant looks like this morning
Photobucket

Here is the main vein
Photobucket

HEre is what is on the squash next to it
Photobucket

Photobucket

And here is a leaf on the squash. There are two leaves like this and I'm afraid the squash is headed in the direction of the zucchini.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is getting my zucchini? Fungus?

Squash Vine Borer - most likely the plant is done, but you can attempt to cut the grub out and cover in soil and cross your fingers.

Do a search on "SVB" or Squash Vine Borer and you will see many discussions surrounding it.

o

definitely SVB--my sympathies

o

Thank you very much! I would have never guessed a bug, since I didn't see any!

o

My sympathy. I've lost squash that way the past two years because I didn't know the trick of operating on them.

I've operated on my squash for borers a couple times this year and there's only one that I am doubtful about. They weren't that far gone though.

It might not be too late to plant a new batch of a quick maturing variety.

o

Squash vine borers are a "bug" - they are a grub like borer - and you may sometimes see the moth that lays the eggs but you will never see the borer unless you cut him out of the hollow vine.

As mentioned above, search SVB and squash vine borer for many discussions and tons of info about them here.

Dave

o

• Posted by shebear z8 NCentralTex (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 16:25

Yep it's the SVB. I have an amazing Cavili squash that just keeps going and going. I can see it's been hit alot but it just keeps going. I keep covering the stem so maybe it's rooting.

And my tromboncino zucchini is funny too. It's been hit many times but just keeps growing longer runners. I did inject that one with BT but I don't think it's killed any worms.

Just keep replanting and cover until they bloom.

o

We caught a SVB on our zucchini before it had done too much damage. DH cut the plant open, dug out the worm, and then we tied the stem back together with a piece of pantyhose. Our plant lives and it's producing zukes.

Hosted on Fotki

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here