Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joflo723_gw

Crookneck squash withering before opening

joflo723
10 years ago

Any ideas on why this might be happening? I've been so excited to *finally* see some female squash, checking them every morning in anticipation of them opening so I can hand pollinate, and before they ever open, they just shrivel up. This has happened a couple of times now, and now I'm seeing it on my most recent set of females too.

Rain - lots lately...almost every day. Could that be it?
Temps have been moderate - 87/73.
I recently fertilized with some fish emulsion and amended soil with organic manure compost.
Been watching for SVB and pickle worms like a hawk...no sign of those.

Very frustrating to wait and wait, and then they start to show up...and then they just die.

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sorry but I don't see any withering in your picture. What am I missing?

There are several discussions on squash issues running here right now, some just down the page a bit. The predominant issue is overly wet soil causing plant stress. When plants are stressed they tend to abort fruit. That may be the same issue you are having although I don't see it.

Dave

• UncannyGardener
    10 years ago

From the picture, the male blooms look great. Do you have the n-p-k numbers for the fish emulsion? I assume it is mixed with water when you fertilize? If it is water soluble then the rain could be washing the fish emulsion away. Do you use a slow release fertilizer?

This year I have been using plant tone for my slow release. it has a npk of 5-3-3. I was using microgrow 15-0-0 for my liquid fertilzer until the beginning of June. now I am switching over to a Burpee all natural plant food (Sea Kelp) with 0-15-11 for my liquid fertilzer.

Simple explaination of the three numbers from they way I understand them: 1st number is for nitrogen=vegetative growth. 2nd number is for phosphate=flowers and fruits. 3rd number is for potassium=healthly and growing roots.

I would fertilize with a fertilizer that only has phosphate, or phosphate and potassium will do also. A slow release fertilizer for general feeding would be help with the rain. There was 5 inches of rain fall in the last week or so to push my neck of the woods 4 inches over the month's average rainfall.

• joflo723
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a 5-1-1 fish emulsion that gets diluted with water. But I actually only used half the amount since it was the first time I've fed them this season.

Dave, the small fruit with flower on the right side of the pic...shriveled up...kind of what your fingers might look like when they've been in water! Lol So maybe you're right...we've had SO much rain lately...they could be stressed from that. What the heck can you do though...guess I'll just have to be patient until this rainy season lets up. *sigh*

ETA: ...and like clockwork, this pm it dropped off... :(

This post was edited by joflo723 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 23:04

• crisslyon
    10 years ago

Are you hand pollinating the females or letting Mother Nature do it? If the flower does not get pollinated it shrivels up and aborts off the plant. I personally get up in the mornings pull some male flowers and hand pollinate mine. When I forget or get too busy I have females dropping left and right.

• joflo723
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never get a chance to hand pollinate! These babies shrivel up before they ever even open...I mean, they are still tiny, and don't look like they're ready to open yet. How early is too early to pry them open anyway to hand pollinate?

• lestridge
    10 years ago

Mineare doing the same. Did you find the problem?

• joflo723
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, sure haven't. I am suspecting it is because of all the rain lately. I have had very little luck with all my veggies this year. Gonna try again in the fall.