Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
expecting frost tonight, what to cover?

Posted by growinidaho 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 11:14

Unusual cold temps today and tonight, rain and frost expected. I was wondering what I should cover. Our temp tonight will be 38 degrees or below. Do I need to cover any of the following:

tomatoes...cover

potatoes are starting to flower

melons, pumpkin, cucumbers and zucchini only have 2 or 3 leaves, they just came up last week

peppers have about 8 leaves

corn is about 2-3 inches tall

cole crops, beets, onions, carrots, garlic and lettuce should be fine

If I cover with plastic containers like yogurt cartons, do they need holes in them? I assume I have over 100 plants to cover.
I have milk and vinegar jugs, newspaper, strawberry cartons, egg cartons, soda bottles, frosting tubs, cardboard, buckets, etc. Its supposed to rain off and on, so I don't want to use blankets and the plants are small and tender.
Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: expecting frost tonight, what to cover?

I don' think any of those will actually die at 38 degrees.

They will stop growing until it warms up again.

This is what I use for my tomatoes. I have hoops of pvc pipe and I throw a sheet of clear plastic over the hoops. That holds the plastic up off the plants. If it is going to be really cold, I burn a 100 watt bulb inside the plastic tent.

Before I had the hoops and the plastic, I saved many a tomato by setting a couple of 30 gallon trash cans beside them and throwing a canvas tarp over the can and the tomato. That kept the frost off of them. Of course, the tarp had to be removed each morning.

If you need to cover tomatoes, you'll have to cover the peppers at the same time. I think they are even more sensitive to cold.

o

I saw on a website, can't vouch for it, to put a gallon jug of water next to each plant to be heated by the sun, this is supposed to warm your plants at ngiht.

I doubt this, but others may be able to add more about it.

o

Where are you that it's gonna get that cold?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about any of them. If it rains...that'll help.

It'd take a few hours of 32 degrees to do much damage, at this stage.

o

The tomatoes and melons/vining crops are the most sensitive. They will take 38F but not much below 32F. Melons might die from the cold soil unless it warms up soon.

o

thanks everyone!
It was 36 degrees but the sun was shining when I checked. I don't think it froze. It never rained. I covered everything to be safe except for the potatoes. Ran out of covers so I put pine needles over the vine seedlings. Last fall we had frost when it was 38 degrees so I didn't want to take any chances.
forpityssake: I am in the mtns of Idaho but elevation is 3000'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here