Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

"Gem" Russet potato question

joel_bc
10 years ago

I've got five types of potatoes planted this year, and it turns out we've had spring temps below seasonal norms, plus a fair amount of rain - both of which have contributed to cool soil temperatures. My "Gem Russets" (the same as "Netted Gem" potatoes, I believe) are the only one of the five varieties not to have emerged from the soil whatsoever. I must admit my French Fingerlings are not doing so well, either.

Anyhow, I didn't plant Burbank Russets, which have done very well for me in the past, so I can't compare performance with them this year. But I've been surprised that the Gems are a "no-show" so far. Anybody here have experience with this variety either in cool climate or in a cooler than average years?

Comments (14)

• sweetquietplace
    10 years ago

We've had a cool, rainy Spring over in my area also. A few of my seed potatoes rotted, including two French Fingerlings, darn it. Have you lifted any of your Gems to see what's going on? If it still looks good, simply replant it.

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, SQP. I had thought about the possibiity of rot. I'll probably check that, this aft. I hadn't done so because in the past I've noted that successful potato plants often grow from rotting "mother" spuds (seed potatoes) - just a natural matter of course. But possibly each of the seed potatoes rotted before they could send up shoots and make roots for them?

But I'm a bit surprised that no one has noticed this thread who has planted this variety in a locale that is cooler/wetter than usual. I'd be interested in general observations about Gems under these circumstances.

This post was edited by joel_bc on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 15:00

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought it might help to put my question about Gem Russets in perspective if I mentioned the varieties that have come up pretty much normally, in this weather. Sieglinde, Warba, and German Butterball - while taking maybe a little longer to show - are all doing nicely.

A lot of areas on the N.American map are hotter than usual, we've got the opposite problem! Gems not a good bet in a year like this?

• sweetquietplace
    10 years ago

My Sieglinde went in the ground March 17 and are looking really nice. I'll be groping their nether regions for new potatoes in a few more days. Hope you get some dandies too. German Butterball is on my list for next year's potato patch.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Plenty of cool and soggy wet here, but no Gems.

I do have russets - Canela - and they're doing well after the usual slow start. I think maybe two didn't come up, judging from the gaps in the bed.

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Itilton, sounds like you're in a somewhat similar situation to mine. Glad to hear your Canela Russets are doing well.

I'd heard about Gems for many years, but was planting Burbanks until I got hit badly with blight in 2011 - with the Burbanks being the first to go down with the infection. Hope somebody familiar with them will respond.

• sweetquietplace
    10 years ago

I'm going to try Buttes next year. I really like the idea that they have more protein and Vit. C. than others. And taste great too!

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Butte seems like a useful variety. I looked it up and it's mentioned as being late-blight resistant.

I wonder if people have largely given up growing Netted Gems? They were still selling Gem seed potatoes here where I live.

• sweetquietplace
    10 years ago

Looks like Netted Gem is also known as Russet Burbank. Have you checked it out? You may get more info using that name.

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SQP, you wrote: "Looks like Netted Gem is also known as Russet Burbank."

If this is so, I don't understand why the potato seed I bought this year would have performed so completely differently from the Burbank Russets I grew sucessfully for 25 years or more. I never had such bad plant starts as with the Gems. And three other potato varieties in the patch - while slowed by the cool air & soil this year - are showing nicely, even growing.

• sweetquietplace
    10 years ago

Googe it and you'll see what I mean. Here's hoping your other potato plants make up for the awful Gems.

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

Are you more in Hope, Prince George, Kamloops, on the Island? Which part of BC are you in?

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

stuffradio, "Are you more in Hope, Prince George, Kamloops, on the Island? Which part of BC are you in?"

I'm two mountain chains west of the Rockies, between Trail (or Castlegar) and Nakusp - not too far up from the U.S. border.

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

I guess that means you're pretty much right beside the border of BC and Alberta. I do know SE BC was getting hammered with rain. That's why I wanted to know.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists