Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's killing my peppers and tomatoes?

Posted by trh701 z4sd (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 11:40

Do deer eat pepper plants? I planted about 20 peppers and something has eaten most of them - just a stem remains. So I replanted and put 2-liter pop bottles around them. - Same thing. I was looking on Gardenweb and found that Deer Out seems to be a good product and if you think it is deer eating them I will try the Deer Out. If it were rabbits eating them wouldn't they just nibble or would they eat the whole thing and chew off the top of the stem?

Also, some of my tomato plants are dying. I have a row of tomatoes 75 feet long and there is an area in the middle where the plants keep dying. Two days after I replanted them the new plants looked like they were completely wilted and were laying on the ground and then they just disappear. After planting them each time I did water well but not so much that they would have drowned. After the second set of tomatoes died I put some pumpkin plants in the area and they are fine after 10 days.

I have been gardening for years but this year am gardening on someone else's property which is a few miles outside of town so I am exposed to all the wildlife. My garden area is 30x175 feet so fencing it is not an option due to the size and the fact that it is not my property.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's killing my peppers and tomatoes?

It could be horn worms getting your pepper plants. Nasty little buggers. They can devour pepper plants overnight (I've had it happen). They look like a green catapillar, maybe 2-4 inches long & 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide. They blend in well with the stems of tomato & pepper plants. If you see them, kill them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Hornworm

o
RE: What's killing my peppers and tomatoes?

Would it be possible to post a picture of the damage to the pepper plants? That would really help. I agree that hornworms may be a possibility but when tomato plants are available they seldom go after peppers. So I'm thinking it is something else - climbing cutworms (slim) or a mammal of some kind like a groundhog.

As to the bad tomato growing place - that sounds like a soil pocket problem of some sort. Since the pumpkins are thriving there I'd suspect a possible hot pocket of excess nitrogen OR a soil pocket that doesn't drain well and so remains too wet. Tomato plants are much more susceptible to root rot than members of the squash family.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here