Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unidentified Vegetable

Posted by powerofpi 5A (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 11:42

Does anyone know what this is? It almost looks like rhubarb, but it's lower to the ground, has far smaller leaves, and has much redder stalks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unidentified Vegetable

Hmmm........some type of swiss chard?

o

Doesn't look like chard to me... but break off a leaf and smell the stem. Chard has a beety smell.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 13:20

red stemmed sorrel.

o

Pretty sure that's Rhubarb of some description. A Rheum. Perhaps one of the species, perhaps a seedling. Pull a stalk with a slight twist. It should come away with a white scoop shaped base. And it will smell like rhubarb.

o

I pulled a stalk with a twist, and it does not have a beet-like smell. The stalk does taste like it's got some acidity like rhubarb would- it just doesn't look like my other rhubarb plant.

It's hard to say what it is. I suppose when in doubt, it's safest simply not to eat it.

o

Can you post a picture of the stalk you pulled? And what is the large leaf off to the right? Is it rhubarb?

o

Here you are floral_uk. You're absolutely right, the larger leaf in the top right of the first picture is a rhubarb leaf.

o

I really do think that the little plant is a Rhubarb. Look at the vein pattern - just the same as on your big plant, I bet. Pull a stem from the large plant and compare smell, texture, and how it is attached at the base. Is it possible your large plant set seed? Seed grown plants can be very variable.

I can tell you for certain it isn't sorrel or chard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here