Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaherbmom

overwintered onions and potatoes

vaherbmom
9 years ago

Should I let them keep growing? Will they be usable? I have lots of both.

thanks for any advice

Comments (3)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Onions are biennials and will flower and set seed if allowed to overwinter. Potatoes will regrow, assuming they make it through the winter.

In my opinion it would be best to harvest them when mature and store them rather than allow them to overwinter.

But I'm not entirely sure if you are thinking about allowing them to overwinter or if you are asking about plants that have overwintered and are growing.

Rodney

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

As mentioned by forgotten, the potatoes will regrow, which means that they will produce again. You can harvest the new crop in a couple months -- so you'll be eating new potatoes, not the old ones that overwintered.

The onions will go to seed, and the old bulb will rot. Are they usable now? Then I'd say eat them. Leave a few in to let them go to seed and self seed, and you'll get lots of volunteers.

• vaherbmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I should have explained better.

These are plants that overwintered this past year--I didn't know they'd be there but they are up and growing well. Glad to hear I can just harvest the potatoes like usual. The onions I don't think have much of a bulb so I will just let them re-seed.

Thank you!!!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks