Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping beets in the ground indefinately

Posted by wild_forager 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 11:51

Is it possible, with the right protection/weather to keep beets in the groud indefinately, or does it die at some point. I'm interested in the idea of continually harvestig them for greens and never actually digging up the root.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping beets in the ground indefinately

They are biennials so won't just die and might even survive until next year when they would run up to seed. But roots will become tough, stringy and inedible unless they are a winter keeper type.

o

Hi there. I agree with the comments from oldroser above. But it seems to me that leaf production may be pretty limited once the beet root is fully developed. You should get much heavier leaf production from swiss chard, a member of the beet family with little root - comparatively - and masses of foliage. It's a biennial usually grown as an annual. I hope this helps. Maureen

o

Forager,
I second both of the above posters (especially momamamo - cute name but hard to keep track of all those m's when your trying to spell it). I kept both beets and swiss chard in the ground all winter and they both did quite well in our mild climate. However the beet roots did loose some of their sweetness and did get slightly tougher when it got cold and growth slowed, though they were never inedible. You will get more leaves from the chard and I would grow that for the leaves unless I were specifically looking for the faint beet aftertaste of the beet leaf.

Steve

o

I don't see anything unusual about momamamo's name. :)

o

Q...,
I won't even try yours.

Steve

o

Hey, who's making fun of my name? ;) I had wanted it to be mamamo (I'm a mom named Maureen), but the system wouldn't let me. Well, alrighty then, I thought...and MOmamamo was born. And Q..., I agree with Steve! M

o

I'm not sure we need any mo, mamamo.

o

I think mamamodomino would be cool too.

o

So you mean nomomamamo?

'night all. Maureen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here