Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela12345_gw

Companion Planting - Bush Beans and Bell Peppers

angela12345
14 years ago

I have read a lot about companion planting ... about what is compatible and what is incompatible. What I cannot find any information on is how close or how far away these plants need to be. Specifically, I am wondering about bush beans planted with bell peppers which are incompatible with each other.

I have a 2 foot x 18 foot garden planted as a raised bed in a 'square foot garden' style. From what I have read, everything in my garden is compatible with each other ... tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, squash, zucchini, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, sweet potatoes. The only exception is the bush beans and the peppers.

My bell pepper plants are 7 feet away from one end of the garden. If I plant my bush beans 7 feet away from the other end of the garden, that will leave 4 feet between the beans and the peppers. Is that far enough away from each other ?

I have a couple other questions about bush beans/seeds in general ...

If the seed packet says harvest in 50 days, does that mean 50 days from the day you seeded ? Or does that mean 7-14 days to germinate and then harvest an additional 50 days after that ?

And one more question ... For 2 people, about how many plants of bush beans should we plant at one time ? I am looking for enough for 2 people to eat them for dinner maybe twice a week but not to save any. We will do succession planting every 2-weeks, so we can have a continuous harvest. I read somewhere 10-20 plants per person, but it wasn't specific if this was the total number over the entire growing season, or if we need to plant 10-20 plants per person every 2-weeks.

Thanks for your help !!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting