Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion Planting - Bush Beans and Bell Peppers

Posted by angela12345 7b NC Mixed-Humid (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 11:53

I have read a lot about companion planting ... about what is compatible and what is incompatible. What I cannot find any information on is how close or how far away these plants need to be. Specifically, I am wondering about bush beans planted with bell peppers which are incompatible with each other.

I have a 2 foot x 18 foot garden planted as a raised bed in a 'square foot garden' style. From what I have read, everything in my garden is compatible with each other ... tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, squash, zucchini, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, sweet potatoes. The only exception is the bush beans and the peppers.

My bell pepper plants are 7 feet away from one end of the garden. If I plant my bush beans 7 feet away from the other end of the garden, that will leave 4 feet between the beans and the peppers. Is that far enough away from each other ?

I have a couple other questions about bush beans/seeds in general ...
If the seed packet says harvest in 50 days, does that mean 50 days from the day you seeded ? Or does that mean 7-14 days to germinate and then harvest an additional 50 days after that ?

And one more question ... For 2 people, about how many plants of bush beans should we plant at one time ? I am looking for enough for 2 people to eat them for dinner maybe twice a week but not to save any. We will do succession planting every 2-weeks, so we can have a continuous harvest. I read somewhere 10-20 plants per person, but it wasn't specific if this was the total number over the entire growing season, or if we need to plant 10-20 plants per person every 2-weeks.

Thanks for your help !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion Planting - Bush Beans and Bell Peppers

10-20 plants person every two weeks should be fine.

o

Beans and bell peppers should be compatible; they are of the same family as tomatoes and eggplants; attracting the same beneficials and having the same cultural requirements.
Nonetheless, the distance you have provided should be enough should there be a problem. Here's a companion planting link:
http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/04/companion_planting_in_the_vege.html

I plant 5 feet of bean row for each person. And succession midsummer for new plants and a fresh supply into the fall.

This link might help:
http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/04/vegetable_garden_quality_yield.html

Here is a link that might be useful: HarvestToTable.com

o

Hey that is a great site, thanks alot.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 13:19

You might also consider the fascinating tip given below to replace some or all of your succession bean planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tip about bush beans

o

Here is where I read beans & peppers are incompatible ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Stephen, how many plants are in 5 feet of bush beans ? If they are every 6", then that would be 10 plants per person, so that sounds like about the same as what I read and what sassy said.

VERY interesting tip on the bush beans !

Anyone wanna chime in on the 50 days question ?

o

The easy answer to the 50 day question is both (hah!).

With beans, it means from seed. Other plants that are usually started from transplants (Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplants etc) it means from the time you set the transplant out in the garden.

Also - Keep in mind that the days to maturity is purely a guideline, it can change significantly based on growing conditions, amount of rain / watering, temperature, richness of soil etc etc etc.

As far as the amount of beans, 2 squares of 9 per sqft planted every two weeks works perfect for my wife and I if we just want fresh eating. This year I did about 5 squares (15 total with 3 succession plantings), as I wanted to freeze some :)

o
RE: Companion Planting - Bush Beans and Bell Peppers 2

jwstell, I like the 50 days from seed answer ... that's at least a week earlier that I get to eat them !!

My seed packet for bush snap green beans says sow 3" apart then thin to 6" apart. That would come out to 4 per square, right ? Do you think I could do 9 per square ? Or maybe compromise at 6 per square (3+3 instead of 3+3+3) ?

o
9 per square

I just do them 3-4 inches in every direction (9 per square), and leave them be. They are a little crowded, and it's difficult sometimes to find all the beans, but 9 per square will out produce 4 per square by a long stretch in my opinion (not per plant, but per square definitely).

Just my opinion!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here