Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any one in zone 6b/7 get broccoli or cabbage?

Posted by helwhhle 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 12:00

I have a few broccoli and cabbage plant started indoor back to Feb. But nothing form in center. and heat comes.
I think that I may not get any harvest from them.
Any information?

Thanks
Wendy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any one in zone 6b/7 get broccoli or cabbage?

I started mine indoors about the same time. I've already harvested the main stalks on the broccoli and am now harvesting side shoots. The napa cabbage finished weeks ago. The regular cabbage is just now forming heads (I, too, am wondering about the heat).

I'd wait a bit more. What varieties did you plant and when did you set them out? I'm not sure where you are, but I am outside Philadelphia, upper Montgomery County, if that helps you with timing.

Hope this helps a little,
Bellatrix

o

Started from seed in February and transplanted them into the garden in mid-March. Harvested all the broccoli heads at the end of May and most of the green cabbage heads have been harvested over the past couple of weeks except for some of the red cabbage. I'll give them another week to get bigger.

Dave

o

I've had no luck getting early broccoli to set heads at all. It just never got to head before the heat got here and stopped it.

This year I'm going for a winter crop, let it grow all it wants in the heat, then hopefully by the time it comes time to head it will be nice and cool(er).

Just started my seeds a week or two ago.

o

The spring ups and downs killed my first 2 or 3 sets of transplants, the final set is heading up but I think this heat is going to be too much. Certainly won't help the flavor.

o

• Posted by drscott 7a (central MD) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 18:40

The key for me is to get the plants in early and then cover them to prevent freezes. Covers came off in 3 - 4 weeks. I harvested 25 - 30 wonderful marathon, Diplomat and other varieties this year.

Planted seedlings out on March 14th this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here