Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midsummersgarden

Transplanting a watermelon?

midsummersgarden
14 years ago

I tossed some old seeds down in a small spot to clear out my seed cabinet. A watermelon was one of the things that came up.

It now has five leaves and a cluster of buds in the middle. Is it safe to dig it up and put it out back where I have space? Or do watermelons not transplant well?

Comments (10)

• makete
    14 years ago

Will be interested in this topic also. As I also have some to transplant.

• deep___roots
    14 years ago

Well, what do you have to lose?
    On the other hand, I sowed some kind of melon seed from Bolivia this year in small plastic pots. One pot had 2 sprouts. When transplanted out, I was sure these 2 plants would not make it. But after a few weeks they have brightened up considerably and are growing. So be aware that melon plants may look unhappy for a while after transplanting. But they may recover. Good rich soil would be helpful in the new space. Good luck.

• leira
    14 years ago

The classic answer is that curcurbits (squashes, cukes, melons) don't transplant well.

That being said, I have transplanted a larger-than-seemed-wise vining squash, and it did quite well.

A watermelon isn't going to do well in a small pot, no matter what. I'd say to proceed as gently as you can, and hope for the best.

• luvsdieter
    14 years ago

I tried transplanting 4 sugar baby seedlings this year. All 4 died :( I have heard that the viners like that don't transplant well. I believe it now!

But hey, on the bright side, I was able to fill the open space with blue and black berry shrubs :)

• missemerald
    14 years ago

I've never had any trouble transplanting squashes and cukes, but have never grown melons (no room)). I wouldn't think that it would be difficult. They look a bit wilted for a few days afterward but keep them moist and they're fine. I just transplanted 8 squash plants recently, and I have to transplant the cukes yet. Just proceed carefully, don't do it when it's really hot and sunny, and keep it watered well. It might look wilted, and even lose the bottom most leaves, but be patient. Good luck!

• midsummersgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, its a small spot, not pot. :)

Its too near my flowerbed and I'd like it to roam, so I'll probably try digging deep and wide around it.

Thanks for the responses.

• idaho_gardener
    14 years ago

All of my melons are transplants. Some I bought at the store, some I sprouted in pots. I think that two died after transplanting, but the other 12 or so have survived and are growing. Some got their leaves cut off by an insect but resprouted new leaves. (Does anybody know what insect does that?)

Last year's melons were also transplants of indoor sprouted seeds.

I have 7 muskmelon and 5 watermelon plants, more or less.

• anney
    14 years ago

I just transplanted eight small Ambrosia cantaloupe seedlings from my now-empty onion container (about 8 inches of soil) where I put them, wondering if they'd germinate. Every seed I planted did. I dug up the seedlings with quite a bit of soil surrounding them and set them in the garden Friday. They haven't even wilted!

Maybe the trick is to transplant them when they're small when the roots haven't become cramped or distorted, and transplant them with as little root disturbance as possible.

• Delanah Selm
    3 years ago

I planted some tomatoes some cantaloupe and watermelon and a raised bed and realized that I did not have enough room by far. And need to transplant them. I wanted to know if there was a way to do that without killing them. Thank you