Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant zucchini seeds?

Posted by bustergordon CA 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 12:15

I had planted zucchini seeds back in late April/early May. Unfortunately, of all of the seeds I planted, only 1 seedling has survived what appears to be rabbits. I'd like to have more than 1 zucchini plant. Is it too late to plant more? I will be starting from seed (and I know now to start them indoors so that they can survive the rabbit onslaught).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant zucchini seeds?

I don't know about Ca, but here in Kansas it probably would be. I tried it.

o

We can plant zucchini into late August in 7B and it will be OK. I have tried fall planting and it works OK, just did not bear as much as spring planting. 9B has a later first frost date than we do, so I think that means you should be ok planting now. I'm not sure you guys even have frost in 9B :~).

o

I had some problems last year with my zucchini as well. I ended up reseeding later in the season than it currently is and everything was just fine. I'm in the same zone as you, so go ahead and plant some more! You should be fine, they're quick growers.

o

It's not too late. In the warm June weather they'll get up to speed faster than in May or April. If you haven't replanted yet, get out there right now!

o

I've heard its actually best to plant zukes out in early July to avoid SVB damage. The later planting may turn out better.

o

Thanks everyone. It was sort of devastating to see that I had lost my zukes like that, so this is good news. I'm definitely in a place that gets no frost, or if we get one, it's like a once every few years oddity...

o

I can't imagine rabbits were the problem. I have rabbits that live under my deck that eat everything, but they don't go near the zukes. Anyone else had rabbits eat zukes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here