Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Black and Decker cordless garden cultivators

catherinet
9 years ago

I have a large tiller, which I don't use any more. I have a Mantis, which husband uses most of the time.

I have pretty bad hand arthritis, and I've been looking at the Black and Decker cordless cultivators. I don't expect them to be like the gas powered ones, but just want something simple to use close to my plants, for better drainage and oxygenation.
They come in 18 volts and 20 volts. I think the 20 volts are newer, but it seems as far as the number and type of reviews, the 18 volt is more tried and true.
Just curious if any of you have either of these tools, and what you think of them.
I finally used my 18 volt Black and Decker cordless weed eater yesterday, and it works great for what I want it for.
Yes, the batteries take time to charge and don't last forever, but it works well with what I need it for.

Any personal info on the cultivators?
Thanks.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

No personal experience but have you read through all the reviews it has over on amazon.com? Fair number of negative reviews to consider. Main ones that caught my eye was the battery charge lasts only a 1/2 hour, that "it is almost useless for a serious gardener", that "it cultivates only an inch or so deep", and that "a hoe is easier to use". It also has reviews on sears.com and homedepot.com as well as several other vendors.

If you have electricity close to the garden an electric model might be more useful.

Dave

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks digdirt.
    I think I've read every review ever written anywhere! It's one of those things where people either love it like crazy, or think it's a piece of junk. Seems like there's alot of people who loved it though. I wouldn't need it for very long, and I would buy a back-up battery to have charging while using the other one.

I think some people think it will substitute for a gas tiller, and it just won't.

Seems, though, that more people complained about the 20 volt model, and couldn't find any replacement tines for it. At least there's a couple of the "discontinued" tines for the 18 volt model. Don't know why the tines wouldn't be available for replacement.
    Anyhow.......I'm just always looking for pieces of garden equipment that won't make my arthritis worse.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

You might check over on the Tool Shed forum here to see if anyone there has posted about it.

Dave

• LaDonna Hilton
    9 years ago

I have the Black and Deceker 18v cultivator and love it! But just for clarification, it is a cultivator, not a tiller. Tillers are used to break up hardened surface dirt. Cultivators stir and pulverize the softened soil. It will NOT break up hardened soil. It WILL keep loosened soil loose and weeded. I think that's where some of the bad reviews come from. I already owned the B&D gator saw so I already had 2 18v batteries. I keep one on the charger as I'm using the other. I did also buy the 'fast' charger this past year when cutting down a bunch of trees and wearing out the gator saw. I can completely turn over a 16'x4' raised bed before the battery stars to get weak. There are extra batteries, chargers, and tines on Amazon and sometimes they run a 'bundle' deal.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks auntnana!

I just ordered one online. I decided to go with the 18 volt one, for various reasons. Like you said, it's not a tiller, and I think some of the negative reviews online were from people who expected it to be like a gas rototiller.

I have a B&D 18 volt weed eater and I'm very happy with it, for what I need it for. I'm thinking I'm might be able to use the 2 batteries from that for this cultivator too.

I'm glad you like yours! Thanks for your input.

• LaDonna Hilton
    9 years ago

I hope you like it. In the spring when it's time to turn over my beds for the first time I usually try to break the dirt up every 2' with a ptich fork/digging fork first so as not to put too much strain on the cultivator. After that it's a breeze the rest of the year!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks auntnana.

Mine came yesterday. It went together easily. I took it to my garden for a spin this morning.
    I have to say, the jury is still out. Also since we had a bad drought 2 years ago, the soil has been very hard. So it didn't do a real great job. And it's most definitely not a weeder. I found if I scraped the small weeds off with a hoe first, then used it, it went better.

I think I need to focus on improving my soil more, and then using the cultivator before hardly any weeds grow back (after the first big weeding). It worked pretty well if I went slowly, and went back over the same places a few times.

Once I get the soil softer, I think it will be great to use!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

I have raised beds, but the soil packs down with the winter rains (not so much this year with the drought!)
    I bought a little mini tiller from my neighbor, probably 60s-70's model and the thing is perfect! It fluffs up the beds and mixes in the compost down about 4-6"
    I know some people say that in raised beds you shouldn't have to till, but I love mixing in that compost and having that fluffed look!
    Sorry, no help with your tiller! Just had to comment about mine! =) Nancy

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County