Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Cardoon flowers- remove?

sunnibel7 Md 7
12 years ago

My cardoon plant is in its second summer now and is putting up a major flower stalk. Last year it was a little weeny plant that sort of bumped along through summer and fall but somehow made it through a long, cold (for here) winter. Now it is large and in charge... actually I think it is the main plant with several pups around it. So, I want to blanch it come fall since it is actually big enough this year. Do I need to remove this flowering stalk? Will the central, older plant be worth eating? Could I just blanch the pups and leave the central plant to make new ones (hopefully) come spring?

Cheers!

Comments (5)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

The central stalk will go to seed and basically die off after it blooms. Personally, I'd love to see one bloom, I've only seen photos, they look incredible.

The pups could potentially make good cardoon this fall, but I think you might have to either thin to just one or two or if possible separate them. I don't know if you could do that now, they may be too big and the heat of summer is here.

• glib
    12 years ago

I vote for killing it. It is a very showy, albeit rough, flower, but in the end this is just a domesticated thistle. The central plant is what you will eat and you do not want to lose any mass to flower production. You throw out a lot of the plant, because you peel it.

peeling is not quite accurate. The stalks are best cut into 6-8 inches chunks first. Trim leaves as needed for top of the stalk chunks. Using your thumb and the edge of a knife, pull back the fibers on the outside of the stalk, and the thin whitish skin on the inside. Promptly drop in water with some lemon or vinegar to avoid discoloration, until ready to use. A plant below 1.5 ft is not worthy. 2.5 ft and above is what you want. The heart at the base is the best part, being edible well into the root zone. Water it well or it becomes pithy.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, now it is a dilemna! I also want to see one flower, but I want to eat it too... can't have both it seems! At least not on one plant. If I do decide to cut the flower stalk, how far down into the plant should I go to cut it? It is very thick and heading to be tall, so I can see how it is a drain on the plant to make it.

Cheers!

• jimster
    12 years ago

It's a magnificent plant. I would let it grow just to see it bloom.

I grew cardoons last year and they got large but didn't bloom. Wrapping them to induce blanching turned out to be impractical due to the size and form of the plants, so I used them green. They tasted fine when par boiled well as a first step to cooking. Any advice on blanching?

Jim

• glib
    12 years ago

Blanching with black plastic wrapping is quite a nuisance, I agree. The shape is difficult, and the stalks are quite brittle. I no longer do it. Rather, I dig up the whole plant and bury it under leaves. The blanching, one month after, is perfect, they are almost sweet raw. Enough leaves so they don't freeze, which here is about 20 inches. Digging all those leaves is also a bit of a nuisance, but it is one of the rare instance when one can do winter gardening work.

They are biennial, so I replant them every year. They grow as tall in sun or shade. This year I have 40, all in semi-shade.