Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegleg48

Starting a new garden mid-season

pegleg48
9 years ago

Hi all,
(Please let me know if there's a better forum to post this in)

I will be moving into a new apartment at the beginning of July, and will finally have some real garden space! After 3 years in containers, I can finally put things in the ground! Very excited.

However, since it's mid-season, I'm not sure if I should leave everything in containers until next year, or transplant some things and do the serious work next year. I've planted some lettuces, peas/beans in containers, and transplanted some seedlings into temporary containers (they'll all need to be repotted). I'm doing lots of peppers, a couple tomatoes, tomatillos and ground cherries (excited about these!). The tomatillos are already trying to take off even though they're only in 2 gallon pots right now!

I have a month before I can do anything. Should I transplant what I can into suitably large containers and let them live there for the summer? They can be moved to the new place and just sit in the backyard. Or should i let them grow however much they will and transplant them into the ground once the beds are ready?

I do want to do some fall gardening (lettuces, kale, carrots, peas, that sort of thing), and can probably have space ready by late august. The backyard of our new place is fairly shaded, so will take some time to figure out the best place to put everything.

Anyway, any advice is welcome. The garden will be started from scratch, building raised beds and all.

Cheers!
Peg

Comments (4)