Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcrose_gw

Help! Late season planting!

McRose
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I need some help, fast!

I'm part of a community garden, and I got my first plot this year - I've got it full of tomatoes, squash, brussels sprouts, etc that are all doing just fine.

BUT, I asked them to let me know if they had any other plots so I could plant more sprawly things like watermelons. I just got a note that they have one I can use the rest of the season.

It's 20x25 feet big. I haven't been over there to look at it but most of them have pretty good soil and drainage. What can I plant that will still produce for the summer? Is there any hope for melons or pumpkins or is it too late? The garden store's plants are getting a little rootbound at this point so I don't know if that's setting myself up for failure.

Bottom line - whatever I'm putting in needs to be there this weekend. What do you recommend?

Comments (12)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

You need to find your local extension service online to see what they say!

I am 7b also and there is a lot that I can plant now, but your 7b may be different!

I linked my EXT below if that will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson EXT

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Agree with wertach. The location you're in is much more important than zone in this case.

Rodney

• McRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Northern Virginia. Haven't really used extensions before. I'll check it out.

• McRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Northern Virginia (Alexandria). Haven't used an extension before but I'll look for it. Thanks!

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

That's exciting to all of a sudden have a new plot!

Do you need it to all produce during the summer, or are you open to fall crops, too?

I don't know about melons/pumpkins in your zone -- but you may do better with seeds than the rootbound plants.

One thing you can plant now and get harvests in September, and that takes a lot of room is sweet corn.
    Now that will impress the folks in your community garden!

If you can find sweet potato plants, they've still got time, and grow well in the heat.

I'll look forward to what those from your zone have to say.

• McRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, so....I found it but I don't see a list of what to plant when. Any ideas? Should I call?

http://offices.ext.vt.edu/alexandria/

Sorry to be so helpless - I'm new to this.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I googled "Alexandria VA Vegetable Planting Guide" and came up with lots of hits. In addition to the Clemson link already provided, here's another one from Farmer's Almanac. Looks like you've got lots of things to choose from. Congrats and good luck!

http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/VA/Alexandria

• McRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys! That's perfect.

I am very open to fall crops (although I'm getting married this fall so I don't know how much time I'll have to tend to it during the fall).

I could happily fill half the plot with winter squash. Corn is a great idea too.

Thanks! Will research and report back.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Ah -- I grew up in Northern Va, and still do a little planting at my parent's house there.

Personally, I'd stick some seeds in the ground for the vining squash and melons and see what happens, and in the mean time plant some other stuff in between them in case they don't work.

Brainstorming . . .You can plant bush beans now, and basil. I still think the sweet corn is a fun idea (in a section of its own), but if you've got clay, like my parents do, the sweet potatoes might not work great.
    I'm wondering if you can start fall hardy crops like kale, cabbage, kolrabi, turnips, (which I've never done in that zone -- does the heat mess them up?)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Still plenty of time in zone 6a for beans, cukes, summer squashes, turnips, kale, collards, lettuces, beets, carrots, a wide variety of Asian greens, Asian radishes, and probably a number of other things I've forgotten. I just started (in starter cells) savoy cabbages for winter harvest. They'll go into the garden end of July/early August.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Still plenty of time in zone 6a for beans, cukes, summer squashes, turnips, kale, collards, lettuces, beets, carrots, a wide variety of Asian greens, Asian radishes, and probably a number of other things I've forgotten. I just started (in starter cells) savoy cabbages for winter harvest. They'll go into the garden end of July/early August.

• McRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys!

I found some decent looking cantaloupe starter packs yesterday and a few tomatoes that hadn't started fruiting, so I bought those. Plus a few other random plants that looked ok - an eggplant, a pepper, a few other things. I'll put all those in and start some hills of squash and watermelons. Hopefully I'll get something wtih all that. Of course my fear now is eveything comes in and I am overun with produce :)