Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schreber_gaertner

Huge Spaghetti Squash?

schrebergaertner
12 years ago

Hi, everyone. I planted around 6 kinds of squash this year, and what I thought was the spaghetti squash plant has absolutely taken over--growing 10 times as fast and large as the others. It has at least 15 fruits on dozens of long vines, and the largest fruit makes me wonder if it's truly a spag. It's not even close to ripe yet (still fully green), but it's about the size of a 10-pound watermelon, and still growing. Has anyone ever had spaghetti squash get this big, or did I maybe end up with some kind of hybrid, or a completely different kind of squash? (I'd post a picture, but have tried unsuccessfully before)

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

I never weighed one. I am guessing I have grown them close to 10 lbs. just knowing that my Hubbard squash grow to about 12 lbs., and spaghetti squash are not to much smaller, but yours is still growing.

You live in the land of milk 'n honey. Anything is possible.

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

If you have several spaghetti squash plants and one is entirely out of proportion to the others, it's probably a cross with something else. These crosses don't usually end up being anything you really want.

Sue

• schrebergaertner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now some of the others are getting almost as big. Here are some pictures. Do you think these are really spaghetti squash?

{{gwi:67957}}

{{gwi:67958}}

Below is the huge one. Starting to turn from light green to orange-ish.

{{gwi:67959}}

Thanks again!

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

Wow! I don't know what it is, but they look fabulous!

Cindy

• toblerone515
    12 years ago

Perhaps a spaghetti squash/ pumpkin hybrid (due to orange and accented ridges).
    My biggest spaghetti squash are only softball size, but they are smooth and yellow.

Looks good though!

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Mine are oval and about 2-3 pounds, very bright yellowish oarge. The vines are pretty big but not quite as wild as my kabocha. I don't have ridges on mine like yours, which makes me think yours is crossed with something, possibly a zucchini cross? My costata romanesca zucchini is unbelievably huge.

• schrebergaertner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The mystery is sort of solved. We picked one and cooked it, and it had the consistency of spaghetti squash. Not the color we usually see, and not quite as sweet, but it might have been a little underripe. It was 9 pounds and wasn't even the biggest one! We've got at least 15 of these babies on the one plant! Might have stumbled on a very favorable unexpected cross!

{{gwi:67961}}

• potterhead2
    12 years ago

My spaghetti squash looks a lot like yours. Very similar color and texture on the outside.

I'm not sure the one you picked and ate was completely ripe, though. It looks a little greenish inside.

Then again, I never eat it right after picking, I always "cure" the ripe fruit at room temperature for a couple of weeks to improve the flavor.

• schrebergaertner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well the plant was starting to die off, so I harvested all but one of them and will let them cure for a while. Here they are. The big one in the front was just under 12 pounds!

{{gwi:67963}}

• angelamh
    12 years ago

Hey there! I too have mutant spaghetti squash on steroids, and mine look exactly like yours. Out of seven plants, six were mutants and one was normal. My guess is some sort of accidental cross. I'm in SoCal too, so maybe we got the same seeds?

I bought Burpee spaghetti squash seeds from the Target in Fontana, California earlier this year. The seeds were part of "Lot 2." Anyway, Burpee carries a guarantee, so you can get a free packet (or a refund) from them if you wanted one (if that's what you bought), but just wanted to mention that you might want to call whatever seed company you bought from (if these were purchased seeds) so they can identify the weird lot.

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

That's an interesting way of cooking and eating it. I don't know tons about cooking most squashes, but for Acorn and Butternut, I peel them, cube them, and roast them for 40 minutes at about 425 with olive oil and salt/pepper.

They're really good :)

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

They resemble spaghetti squash, but
    appear to be crossed with something else.

• homeend
    12 years ago

it is a spaghetti squash.
    As for size and weight can you beat 14 lbs

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Stuffradio-I too, eat my spaghetti squash by scraping it out of the shell with a fork. It makes strings, sort of like pasta. We like to serve it with marinara "spaghetti" style and use it as a low calorie, healthy pasta substitute. It always reminds me of a mix between a summer and winter squash, not as sweet as most winter squashes, not as bland as most summer squashes. It's one of few squashes my husband likes, although this year's bumper crop of zunchinni and patty pan which are so tasty compared to store bought. We have a lot of spaghetti squash on the one plant, as well, which haven't been harvested yet, and a few kabocha, my personal favorite, which he has never tasted.

• schrebergaertner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The seed company was Pinetree, which has always been reliable. In fact, this is the second year I used seeds out of the same packet, and the plant last year had normal fruits. Probably just a fluke.

• pitcom
    12 years ago

Your variety is called "Vegetable Spaghetti Squash". I grow the same exact variety. My plants have reached 30 feet long and I've harvested 2 dozen squash so far from 6 plants. Unfortunately they just got hit with squash vine borers, so i'm not sure i will be harvesting many more, even though i have about 2 dozen baby squash on the vines.

{{gwi:67964}}

• Cathy Schumack
    3 years ago

My Son and I both have giants this year. Both live on different sides of the state used different sources.

Just a good year. Eat well.

• Pamela Ennis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am so envious of people with giant spaghetti squash. I have 6 plants, all bought together as starts because of our short growing season. Four of them are producing softball sized squash, two are producing normal sized squash, no giants. At the moment I am in a race with the gophers to harvest them. My grandson and I spent an hour carefully sliding bricks under the surviving squash. Next year they're growing on a trellis.