Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay17jan

yellowing leaves cucumber and zucchini plants

Kay17jan
9 years ago

My cucumber and zucchini plant leaves are yellowing, and corners drying. I used 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 compost and humus, 1/3 peat moss as soil.
They are both flowering, and not mulched, although the soil seems wet and it rained pretty well this week.
So I am not sure if it's coz they are flowering or water deficient/excess or my soil mix is nutrition deficient coz I used Humus, more than compost. This is my first garden so the soil is new.
Thanks for all your help.

Comments (7)

• loribee2
    9 years ago

It's my understanding that yellowing leaves usually means too much water. It's the drying corners that's throwing me a little.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Agree that the most common cause of yellowing leaves is over-watering or poorly draining soil. Is that mix in a container or a raised bed?

But nutrients is also important. So what have you fed them if anything? Even compost can't provide nutrients to them if there is no active soil food web and that doesn't exist in a new bed much less one without any soil in it.

Dave

• Kay17jan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May be too much watering..since they had drying corners i kept watering them everyday!
    I hav'nt added anything to the soil, just that mix. Wht else is added and how often? There is very little to no old garden soil in there, since it was very sandy i didn't mix it in when i made this bed. It's a raised bed.

• Kay17jan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May be too much watering..since they had drying corners i kept watering them everyday!
    I hav'nt added anything to the soil, just that mix. Wht else is added and how often? There is very little to no old garden soil in there, since it was very sandy i didn't mix it in when i made this bed. It's a raised bed.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Post pictures please.
    Need overall image where they are growing as well as close-sups.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

If it rains a lot , then you cannot prevent over watering by nature. So the cure is to fertilize more to replenish the depleted Nitrogen by leaching. OR, top dress with good manure. Manure, not compost ! This way the rain will do the fertilizing.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

"Daily watering" is almost always over-watering. Add rain and it definitely becomes too much water.

But in this case i suspect lack of any nutrients is the main issue. They need to be fed. All plants need to be fed something and in containers it needs to be fed regularly..

I would normally recommend one of the many organic liquid fertilizers available but in order to recover from the excess water, a granular one would work better this time.

There are probably 35-40 different organic granular fertilizers available so it all depends on what you can find locally. Any of the big box stores like Walmart, Home depot, Lowe's etc sell them, so do most nurseries.

Follow the label directions for amount and frequency of application.

Dave.

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm