Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzypete

Help with young pumpkin plant

FuzzyPete
10 years ago

I posted this originally over at the specific squash forum, but it didn't generate any interest.. I don't know if it is bad form to cross-post, etc, but I was really hoping for some feedback on this plant.. Even if I cannot save it, i am hoping that I can stop the issue from spreading to the other plants near it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original post for help in squash forum

Comments (6)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

It might not survive. It looks cooked to me, but I could be mistaken. If you're other plants are healthy don't be too concerned. Just keep an eye on them.

• FuzzyPete
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, i'm in the Pacific Northwest, so it is hard to have cooked plants this time of year... I try and water deeply every other day.. I added some cups to the garden to help measure the total watering and rain better... However, that plant did die and the one behind it has now developed a lot of extra brown spots on the biggest leaf with a lot of brown on the edges.. the photo should show this...

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

How deep is the bed? What is the soil made of? Looks like some sort of mix. Plants will germinate and grow for a while in almost anything. I'm thinking it's a soil/root issue, but leaves turning white like are some times from sun damage. Have you had alternating hot sunny/cool wet days? The black soil surface you have could get wicked hot in the sun. Some mulching might help.

• gsweater
    10 years ago

I had this issue last year with my pumpkins and watermelons in my main bed. I did a lot of reading and settled on using straw as a mulch to keep the soil evenly moist and temps moderated. That immediately fixed the issue. This year, I saw the same happening with my cucumbers and laid the straw down, again it stopped it. I think edweather is on to something about temp fluctuations. I live in the NW as well.

• FuzzyPete
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm... Ok, I'll give it a good water tomorrow and throw some mulch around them and see what happens... I'm getting a little worried about the sole survivor of this one type of pumpkin... Its' leaves are getting more splotchy... I didn't think it was something like temps or soil because other pumpkin varieties in the same bed seemed to be doing well... I have a different bed near with some zucchini in it and they have been out growing everything (except some peas, perhaps)... but, it gets a bit different sun overall...

The bed is a foot tall , but i dug an extra 1/2 - 1' deep in the ground.. It is a new bed this year... I put a soil/compost mix in as I did in my other bed (last year) with the local nursery recommended amounts..

• FuzzyPete
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, i chose not to mulch because we were forecast to have a lot of rain and cooler temps roll through today before sun and warming tomorrow.. I figured it would not be a great idea to mulch and lock in cool/damp soil... (i could be overthinking all of this)

However, today, I looked at this plant again and noticed the following with its' new growth... it doesn't look healthy, but I cannot figure out if it looks like it was eaten or wilted. I am looking for pests under leaves and such....

One reason i have not been thinking something "global" like soil nutrients or temps was the first plant that up and died... It seemed to shrivel up and die all alone with only minor issues with the other plants around it.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner