Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew

Posted by veggiefaery 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 13:16

Cabbage worms were on my broccoli, cauliflower, and spreading to my kohlrabi and cabbage. Something had to be done!

I am trying to remain organic in my gardening practices, which up to this point has been relatively easy. Then I went looking for an organic pesticide. That was a serious challenge. Bottom line - forget the big box stores!

I finally went to my local plant nursery/greenhouse, and discovered they had a small endcap dedicated exclusively to organic pesticides and herbicides. I chose Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew, which is a bacterial based pesticide put out by the Dow Chemical company.

After waiting for the rain to evaporate from the plants, I sprayed the product on. I even sprayed one of the cabbage butterflies. At first the kohlrabi did not take well to the dead bug brew, but quickly recovered.

The real problem is that the cabbage butterflies seem to be showing up in greater numbers. I don't have much experience with how quickly pesticides work, and I realize I have quite a few plants in the cabbage family growing, but it seems to me I should have reduced the problem. Has anyone ever used Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew, or could you give me a few pointers on how fast pesticides are supposed to work. In college I remember and entomology professor telling me that bug sprays like Raid don't work immediately. Certainly ant poisons don't work immediately or only the few ants eating the poison would die and not the whole nest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew

This product active ingredient is "spinosad". How it works is when bugs bite the leaves which you have sprayed, it kills them. So "generally" it won't kill beneficial bugs - unless you spray something and within 3 hours a beneficial bug (such as a bee) visits the plant before it dries.

Anyway - so "directly" it won't kill the cabbage butterflies, as they don't munch on the leaves - their larva do (the little green worms). The larva will be killed by the spinosad very quickly - at the very least over night. And eventually, the butterfly population will start to disappear, as you are killing all of the larva.

Hope that helps explain things a bit.

o

I use Bt Worm killer on my plants to control hornworms, cabbage loopers, and other wormy type critters. (I think it's made by Green Light) One application pretty much eradicated them from the garden. I also use beneficial nematodes in the garden and parasitic wasps, all organic controls.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

o

Cap. J.s' dead bug concentrate KILLS STINK BUGS!!!! The required mix is 4oz of the concentrate to 1gal water. Show no mercy!

o

Cap. J.s' dead bug concentrate KILLS STINK BUGS!!!! The required mix is 4oz of the concentrate to 1gal water. Show no mercy! It takes about 5 or so minutes, but they do die.

o

I dusted my cucumbers, cabbage,broccoli,ect. with captain jack's dead bug brew. Two hours later it started to rain and washed all the dust off. Should I wait for the minimum days to reapply. What should I do? The beetles were eating my cucumber plants.

o

Does it work on tomato horn worms

o

Does not work on Mexican Bean Beetles, the larvae of which are horrendous pests which destroy squash more than beans. Superbugs apparently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here