Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I preserve a whole raw potato?

Posted by susanka (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 13:31

I have a heart-shaped potato I want to keep its shape. How can I preserve it? It's already beginning to look just a tiny bit different. I searched google, but nobody's talking about preserving a whole potato.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I preserve a whole raw potato?

Cut it thin and deep fry it.

Heart shaped potato chips.. mmmm!

o

Take a photo of it, that will last longer.

or

Keep it in the freezer.

o

You could try using one of those "Food Savers" and place it in the deep freezer. There's really nothing outside of "canning" to preserve a whole potato other than freezing it. It will probably be useless for any other purpose than a conversation piece, but it will keep it from turning colors in the freezer by using a typical freezer bag alone.

My foodsavers worth it's weight in gold around harvest time...just need a freezer the size of a house!

o

Potato tubers were designed to keep in the ground, for nearly a year in correct circumstances. A tuber taken off the plant early in the growth cycle can't keep; also tubers grown in certain climates won't keep.

I've taken tubers out of the ground in early May, from the season before, that were in perfect eating condition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here