Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

How can I preserve a whole raw potato?

susanka
16 years ago

I have a heart-shaped potato I want to keep its shape. How can I preserve it? It's already beginning to look just a tiny bit different. I searched google, but nobody's talking about preserving a whole potato.

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• esobofh
    16 years ago

Cut it thin and deep fry it.

Heart shaped potato chips.. mmmm!

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Take a photo of it, that will last longer.

or

Keep it in the freezer.

• renderblade
    16 years ago

You could try using one of those "Food Savers" and place it in the deep freezer. There's really nothing outside of "canning" to preserve a whole potato other than freezing it. It will probably be useless for any other purpose than a conversation piece, but it will keep it from turning colors in the freezer by using a typical freezer bag alone.

My foodsavers worth it's weight in gold around harvest time...just need a freezer the size of a house!

• pnbrown
    16 years ago

Potato tubers were designed to keep in the ground, for nearly a year in correct circumstances. A tuber taken off the plant early in the growth cycle can't keep; also tubers grown in certain climates won't keep.

I've taken tubers out of the ground in early May, from the season before, that were in perfect eating condition.

• Teresa Pisanello
    8 years ago

Hi Susanka, i have a PERFECTLY heart shaped potato too! i was wondering if you ever found a way to preserve it? Thx, Teresa :)

• nancyjane_gardener
    8 years ago

I agree with taking a picture of it. I also agree that a food saver and freezer time would do it. I don't really know why you want to save it, though.....unless you want potato valentines? Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    8 years ago

Good TJ!!!!!!!!

• Esther Bevins
    7 years ago

I have a potato shaped like a left foot (big toe and 4 smaller toes). Really want to preserve it some how.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Then as already suggested - take a picture of it. Otherwise you can't.

• HU-677319863
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Following up here, it seems the general consensus is to take a picture. I did this for my pigeon shaped sweet potato but would prefer to keep the actual whole potato. I also heard if I use vinegar I can preserve the potato. Let me know if any have successfully tried.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    5 years ago

Stuff it.

• Jeremy Billion
    3 years ago

Took a picture of mine the potato may not last but the love and memory behind it will

• Janet Nielsen
    3 years ago

my heart shaped

• Diana G
    2 years ago

Another potato-holic here.

Of all the tubers I’ve loved before, I‘ve recently adopted the most adorable little guy - Yamuel Tuberson, I call him!

I’ve grown quite fond, and as such would love to keep him around indefinitely. I’m seeing a trend of heartbreak on this forum spanning many years now, but for the sake of my lil Yamuel, hoping there may be a new modern marvel of kitchen science someone could share, to end the cycle of sadness.

PS: I too found a heart-shaped guy before. Last Feb 9 in fact, what luck!

• Theresa Long
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just found a heart shape one on my birthday! ❤❤❤

• San Khan
    last year
    last modified: last year

I found this ...in our bag....

• robert567
    last year

Almost 15 years... I wonder how that original ❤ potato looks like now?