Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Substitute for large Jiffy Pellets

anney
13 years ago

Just now I was making my thrice-weekly batch of tomato juice from cans of tomato paste, to which I admit an addiction! (It's just tomato concentrate anyway -- check the label.) I just add salt to taste. It's much more economical than buying tomato juice, which can run for around $3 a quart or slightly more. I can buy the tomato paste at Dollar General at five cans for a dollar.

I've always thrown the paste cans away but realized they'd make GREAT seed starting cells if both ends were removed. You can also get all the tomato paste out that way, too.

If you set them upright and fill the cans with seed starting mix, they won't sag and disintegrate as newspaper pots do, and you can just push the root ball out from the bottom when you're ready to transplant them.

The dimensions are a 2 inch diameter and a 3.5 inch height, large enough for seeds of beans or melons or tomatoes, etc.

{{gwi:69125}}

I'll be saving the cans throughout the year since I use a LOT of tomato paste during the winter, even though I freeze tomatoes as well. This may be a solution to my seed-starting problems, such as wanting to start some garden seeds individually instead of open sowing where you can never be sure about spacing. They'll work great for starting individual flower plants inside, or even outside, too.

Comments (2)

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Tsk, tsk. You are buying tomato paste when you have a garden and, presumably, growing your own tomatoes? (just funning you)

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OWS

LOL! Yes. But I make nearly everything tomato-based from tomato paste, including juice, soup, ketchup (still working on that so my grandson likes it, being used to only the store-bought kind), spaghetti sauce, BBQ sauce, the gamut. Well, I don't usually use tomato paste to make spaghetti sauce -- the frozen tomatoes are used for that as well as stewing tomatoes. We eat a lot of Great Northern Bean soup during the winter.

There's no WAY I could grow and freeze enough tomatoes to keep up with my addiction to tomato juice. Don't have the room! It's close to ridiculous.