Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cardboard 'mulch'

Posted by calik8 sunset18 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 13:49

I have read here that some people use cardboard for mulch. They say worms love it, and I really like worms...so why not?
Do I tear it up and mix it in with the top layer, or just lie it over the soil between the veggies?
If I just lay it out, how do I water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cardboard 'mulch'

I laid down my cardboard and mulched over it. Got most of my cardboard from county public recycling bin at local firehouse .Got most of my mulch free. Then started buying the "broken bags" HALF price from big box store....
Seems like stuff did better than have the landscape fabric with mulch....
Just my chiming in....
jean

o

I lay it down and load on compost or wood chips ... Once it gets wet the worms start feeding on it.

o

I use it UNDER new beds, to smother, then I use it again to mulch but put straw over it. One thing I did learn was to use a single layer (so if you have extra thick cardboard, wet it and seperate it: I had extra heavy shipping boxes that were super thick) and to tear it into smaller pieces. The only time I ever use large sheets of the stuff is when I finish preparing a planting area that won't be planted for quite some time.

o

Depends on how fussy you are. I used to shovel dirt over it almost completely and/or add mulch on top. Now I'm dealing with health problems and don't have that energy. So I simply flatten it, lay it down between rows or plants and weigh it down with bricks or stones. After a good rain, it sort of just molds itself to the earth. No it doesn't get moldy, it just blends in. Water seeps right through it. If you want, you can give it a good soaking right after you lay it down or else just wait for rain. I have very few weeds in the garden. I overlap the peices by an inch or so and very few weeds are able to come up, and they are only around the edges where the cardboard ends.

o

We use cardboard boxes, flattened out, up at our community garden just to cover for the walkways as a weed suppressant. It ain't pretty but it works and it's natural.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here