Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eggplant male / female flowers ?

Posted by greenthumbsj Z9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 13:49

I have about a dozen of the purple Japanese variety(forgot the name). My plants look healthy and are around 12" tall. There are 3 small eggplants about the size of a quarter and doing fine. However, I noticed in some plants there are cluster of flower buds in one stem - they are much smaller and are mostly a group of 3 in one stem. I don't recall seeing more than one eggplant hanging off of a single stem. Are these male flowers or flowers that won't produce ? Should I clip them ?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eggplant male / female flowers ?

Sometimes they just form flowers in clusters. It's normal, not a male/female difference. Usually eggplants will form a single flower, or a cluster of up to 8, depending on the variety.

o

I'm growing Rosa Bianca Eggplant and it is same as you describe. Single large blossoms on a strong stem, and some clusters of three smaller blossoms on small stems away from the main stalk. Now I thought the larger blossoms were female, and that the cluster of smaller blossoms were male. And I thought the male flowers were necessary to pollinate the females. The bees are visiting the eggplants now so I don't worry, but early on I hand pollinated some of the blossoms, or at least I thought I did. Anyway, the larger blossoms I thought I pollinated have medium size eggplants now. I did notice something else interesting. When I brushed the female plants, I could see a little puff of what looked like very fine powder. (I'm not making this up...)

Hope someone can tell me if what I did was unnecessary. Do eggplants not require male/female blossoms for pollination?

o

Eggplants are like tomatoes self-fertile. Flowers have both male and female parts. Bees when plentiful will work the flowers, but the plants don't need them.

o

Farmerdilla, thanks for the info. I feel a little silly now, but apparently I didn't harm the early blossoms.

Greenthumbsj, It was not my intention to hijack this thread. I apologize for jumping in.

o

opal52, no worries. I learned more because of your input. I am all for more input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here