Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Dill

Posted by skeip 5 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 13:52

Is it temperature sensitive for germination? I had a patch, at the house that has been sold, that came up every year and reseeded itself every year. Now I am trying to start some from seed, and after three plantings, nothing. Temps here have been in the 80's and very dry, but I have been watering. Does it want cool springtime temps to germinate? I'm afraid there may be no pickles this year, or else I'll have to buy Dill!

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Dill

i start dill in peat pots or in potting mix. in a cool dry place. once it comes up it is a perennial and very easy to grow. i made the mistake of letting it go to seed and now i cannot get it out of my yard. the wind blew the seeds every where. i had one dill plant come up in my garden and grew there the whole winter.
dill likes the spring or fall here in central texas but will go to seed during the intense summers, but will come back with a vengence during cool periods and will over winter.

o

I'm not sure what make it come up, but this is what I did was start some in side were it's cooler and when it sprouted took it out side. I do the same thing with collards because they are that way too tried three time to start some and nothing then took them inside and next day they sprouted. cilantro is that way to I guess because I planted some at the end of the year and it didn't come up till just before spring. so try starting the dill inside and get it to sprout then outside. I deal with this a lot because in my climate I grow cool weather veggies in the fall and they over winter till spring, and it can be a pain to convince them it's time to grow.

o

I don't think it's that fussy. I had some old seed packets from 08 and 09, sowed in a flat and put in the greenhouse just before Memorial Day weekend, and they came up great. It was in the mid 90's for a couple of days that weekend, so at least 103-105 in the greenhouse, and no problems with germination. I actually haven't planted dill intentionally for a number of years, it's usually something I have too many volunteers of every year, as I do right now.

I would try buying some fresh seed from a different source or company. Really, it would be small, but if you planted now, it should be large enough to use in pickles in about 4 weeks.

o

I had dill for many years, in fact it reseeded into the strawberry bed. I let some grow to use in dips etc. and found out that dill and strawberries are not good neighbors. For some reason, the strawberry plants that were situated near dill plants grew almost no berries, while the rest of the strawberries in the bed had fruit as usual.

Needless to say, from then on I kept the 2 crops separated!

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 19:01

Steve, are you covering the seed with soil? That could be the problem.

o

I direct-sow dill in spring, but start seeds indoors this time of year. The seedlings are pretty easy to transplant, using shade covers to protect them from sun. I always make at least two plantings of dill, sometimes three. Keep trying!

o

Well, let's just say I planted it once in my garden and every year since then I am pulling it out as weeds. I leave a few to grow each season. The garden gets tilled and the seeds survive my zone 4 winter. They germinate when the soil warms up in the spring.

o

Thanks everyone for the input.

I am trying to establish a self-seeding colony like I had at the other house. I have covered the seed shallowly, and just left it on the surface of the soil, nothing either way. In the old garden it self sowed, I covered with several inches of chopped leaves in Fall and it came up on it's own in the spring.

We have been having an unusually hot and dry year so far here in SC WI, so I'm thinking it may be a commbination of factors, not the least of which is uneven moisture. I have been watering dillegently for the past few days and just last night noticed a few green shoots coming up. I am going to take the last of my seed and plant in cell packs and germinate in the cool basement under lights, see what happens and then transplant.

Thanks again everyone for your great advice.

Steve

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 13:23

I have had dill as volunteers on and off.
When I try to seed it, it seems that like most volunteers, it grows where it likes the soil and you can plant till hell freezes but may end up frustrated.

I seeded some this year, zero came up, yet in another spot where threw some soil from one part of the garden to another it came up all by itself.

Once you get it going it usually survives but is not as easy to get going as one would think.

o

I have bad luck direct seeding.I threw some seed in a planter that had some old potting mix. I watered it and they are doing great. I should have transplanted but I read somewhere that they didn't transplant very well.

It is in a bad spot, too shady, but I would need a fork lift to move the planter. I plan to get more seed and start in a flat and transplant towards the end of summer. Since planatus say's s/he transplants!

Thanks planatus!

o

One last reply and then I'll let the posting fade away. I took some old cell paks from annuals and filled them with potting soil, scattered the last of my dill seed on top and water them well, some seed covered, some not. Then I put them in a cool, about 65 degrees, basement window. Within 4 days I had massive germination. Today I will put them outside to harden off, and then into the garden, screened, covered with spun bonded row cover, hermetically sealed, whatever it takes, to keep the critters away.

My conclusion from this is that Dill germinates much better at 65degrees, than 85.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here