Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How grow Zucchini plus container Harvest

Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 14:04

A video describing how to harvest zucchini. I grow almost all my zucchinis in containers and they do great. Do you prefer to grow zucchini in containers or on the ground?

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8Hnall0aU

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow Zucchini

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How grow Zucchini plus container Harvest

I prefer growing everything in the ground as I'm lazy and don't like to water and fertilize often. Containers require much more attention, though I like the versatility they offer.

I am actually quite envious of folks who can successfully grow in containers.

o

• Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 12:50

Interesting loribee :) I have grown mostly in containers and I think the key is to have wide enough containers. Feeding is definitely much more of a chore but slow release fertilizers work very well for containers.

But yes plants do thrive much better on raised bed/ground. So for the people who have the space, its a better choice!

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 13:56

Like Lori I much prefer in ground. I do both but the containers are more work and generally less productive than the same plant grown in ground.

And I have never found slow release fertilizers to work all that well in containers. They can result in very inconsistent nutrient levels in many cases as they are easily affected by weather, watering regimens, container size, potting mix used, etc. Too many variables that can't be well-controlled. Liquid supplements work much better in my opinion as they are much easier to control and maintain consistent levels with.

Dave

o

Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 15:53

Thanks for the tip Dave. Yes I do use water soluble fertilizers when I want a quick effect. It does work very well!

I guess Containers are a compromise for those of us who don't have a lot of real estate. But as we learn the secrets of growing better and better in containers, it should give us a decent harvest.

o

I have plenty of real estate and have given up trying to grow zucchini in the ground. If the squirrels don't eat all the leaves the plant wilts mid day. I get good harvests in containers.

Zeuspaul

o

Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 17:05

zeuspaul - Yes, I agree that the veggies are much safer from critters in containers. Chipmunks/Squirrels are one of the biggest menaces but I also find slugs chewing down plants on the ground much more than they do to the plants plants I have in containers.

This season, I also have zucchini growing in the ground and its not doing as well as the ones in container.

o

Mine are in ground. Ummmmmm anyone want some zucchini????? Please????????
Since I retired last year I have very few people to give it to! I only have 1 each of zuk and crookneck! I probably got a half dozen of each this week! Nancy

o

Nancy, the Redwood Empire Food Bank up in Santa Rosa accepts produce from home gardeners. And it's a tax write off!

o

Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 15:31

nancyjane_gardener - Nice to know you are having a good harvest!

loribee2 - Thanks for the info, that is great to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here