Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

By the way, the Weather Channel sucks for local forecasts

What is up with them? It's NEVER what the local weather forecasts. Has been that way for years.

For example, yesterday's forecast was for mid 80's, it was 97F. Today's forecast -- 88F, it's now 91F and it's only 11:00 am PDT!
Tomorrow's forecast a couple hours ago was for 82F(they've updated it since to 91F), but it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow than the 100F-105F we're due this afternoon.

Clearly, they need to get their info from a better source. If the local meteorologists can do pretty good at forecasting, you'd think that one would reach out to the other so that ALL could deliver accurate info.

I know better though -- when the locals(weather persons) say it's going to be warm in "the inland AREAS," I add 5-10 degrees... the inland VALLEYS (where I am), is much warmer than what the locals mean by inland AREAS. The weather channel I try to ignore their temperature forecasts!

Anywho, Rant over. How bout them Padres?!

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 15:38

Comments (13)

• gardenlen
    10 years ago

g'day kevin,

they don't do observation anymore, rely heavily on theoretical sciences to create a forecast, like playing mario brother.

we had situation over here where a bloke who give weather results and forecasts on a main tv show, pointed to the SOI figures now being presented for the fans of SOI(southern oscillation index, scientific mumbo jumbo)

anyhow the next week after slap on wrist i'd say he was presenting SOI without even a grimace, then last week he got objectively lesson weather scientist professor from local university stood there and explained all about SOI.

the presenter looked like little boy going through detention in front of the class, the scientist said he should be on air more often.

can't cross mythology science hey? lol

over here the forecast never matches the prediction anymore it used to, one weather reader on one channel sort of flowers it a bit and gets close, he'll need to be careful, lots of good weather blokes retired since new rule they must say exactly what the bureau gives them to read.

o go and look at their satellite and radar pic's something they don't do.

len

• harveyhorses
    10 years ago

We are really very lucky in VA, we have an agricultural forcaster, he has been more accurate than all TWC put together WRISK.com I think.

• glib
    10 years ago

what's wrong with the noaa site?

• n2xjk
    10 years ago

Could it be the distance (either mileage wise or elevation wise) between you and the cable company's main office for which the forecasts are customized which causes them to be off for you? Since you are finding the WC output unsatisfactory, try other wx forecast sources which can be better customized to your area. Wunderground.com, intellicast.com, accuweather.com are some examples. Also, you might want to listen to NOAA weather band radio (some car radios pick up WB, and Radio Shack sells WB radios).

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

"How bout them Padres?!"

...as a Cubs fan I wish I could make fun of that. At least you had 1998 and 1984 (after defeating the Cubs) as NL Champs.

As far as weather goes, I only trust the local news. They're not perfect, but I also find that my Yahoo weather feed (sourced from TWC) is also extremely variable in my area. It's expected when you're looking at weather predictions a few days ahead, but they commonly get the forecast for temperatures incorrect (by quite a large amount sometimes) for the following day. They're pretty good on predicting weather patterns independent of temperature, though...like rain and storm movement.

• nugrdnnut
    10 years ago

Glib - I use the NOAA site.. but I find that it is 5-10 degrees on the south side of the actual temperature and it seems to be pretty consistent. When I query 2 cities, just 5 miles from each other with no elevation difference, I can get 10 degrees difference in the forecast temperature. Just my experience.

• soilent_green
    10 years ago

I have found weather forecasts to be increasingly inaccurate and untrustworthy and therefore undependable. I think it is due to meteorologists having their faces glued to computer screens playing with weather modeling software like it is a video game rather than doing the real work of interpreting actual, factual data streams that come in from NOAA and all its weather stations across the continent. They are relying more on fancy technology than actual facts, and it is biting them on their rears. Perhaps these folks should get out of their cubicles, stick their heads out of a window, and look up at the sky once in a while to see what is actually going on.

The Weather Channel is a joke. All they care about is the next tornado, hurricane, or wild fire so they can go live to air the destruction and misery. They are a bunch of thrill seekers, ratings whores, and ambulance chasers.

I rely on NOAA, one of the last government agencies that I trust and respect. I am sure the politicians and bureaucrats will ruin it soon enough.

Ahhh, that felt good. Rant/Off

Have a good day.
    -Tom

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was just ranting...LOL But yes.. those sites some of you listed are more accurate than TWC. I was just referring to a quick look at the TV as I channel surf. I really don't have a problem getting accurate weather info. TWC, though, just plain sucks at the temp predictions though. Weather's not truly an issue here -- I'm in SoCal for god's sake! I had maters almost to Xmas last year.

Glib: nothing wrong with them at all -- however, even they were off a few degrees.

Deborah and harvey: thanks for the links.

n2xjk: No. The local on the 8's is for SAN DIEGO and that's for at the coast, so I really don't pay attention to that except for the radar for the whole county. But I'm 20 miles inland... much different microclimate. But, you know the forecasts that TWC has at the bottom of the screen as they broadcast their shows? Well, it has 3 cities within the county. that they show forecasts for----. San Diego, Bonita(about 5 miles inland), And El Cajon.(about 20 miles inland and the city RIGHT NEXT to mine.and has the EXACT climate I have(give or take a degree or 2 at any given minute).

So, no. Elevation or distance to hub or ANYTHING would not interfere.

nc-crn: I agree. they're pretty good(for the most part) for rain patterns and even telling us that a heat wave is coming. or a high or low is moving in. They just suck at temp predictions for MY area. They're actually not bad for the COAST. But how hard could that be when you have the largest ocean regulating the temps constantly?? LOL

Also, sorry to hear you're a Cubs fan. That must hurt. I hurt quite a bit also. No rings of any find for my hometown teamS!

Speaking of 84... I fell asleep BEFORE game 1 only to wake up and see it 13-0. I thought the series was over right there. After Game 2, I was CONVINCED it was over. But alas! The Padres won the last 3 and our 1st trip to the World Series was realized.

Only the Cubs... mwahahaha! :P

Len and Soilent: Yep. The world has definitely become way too automated. Remember hearing stories from an old-timer who said "It's about to rain" because he could feel it in his bones or the steel pin in his knee?

Anyhow... supposed to be in the 100's today with humidity rising due to a monsoon out in the Pacific. Yay! I'm going to feel like the rest of Americans in the middle of the summer. ;)

Kevin

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Agree with NOAA...I made my city my home page so the daily weather comes up first when I log on.

Put your city and state in at the link below.

Then copy the link from your city/state page on General tab "Home page" / Internet Options / Tools (if using Explorer).

Or rather: Tools/Internet Options/General Tab - Home page

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA Weather

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

I have to put in my 2 cents....

Well first, I'm an old man of 59. I have lived in the Piedmont of SC all of my life.

We have mountains 20 or so miles north-west and to the north of us.

A very hard to predict weather situation due to the mountains.

No one gets it right in my area all of the time, but everyone is a lot closer than they were years ago. Back in the 60's and 70's it was real bad. My Dad always said them weather forecasters don't know their a++ from a hole in the ground!

There can be 10 degrees difference in temps, rain and/or no rain within 4 or 5 miles in my area.

I think it's called micro climate? ;)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not in my case wertach. Don't get me wrong -- we have many, many microclimates in SoCal. But, the town that they(TWC) forecast is right next to mine. Same valley, same temps, same everything. Both cities are on the local weather broadcasts, but the only thing that ever changes is a degree now and then. In fact, the place that they do their readings is at an airport on the border of the 2 cities.

Kevin

• gardenlen
    10 years ago

yeh i'm 67 and my wife tells me dearest if you walk outside and get wet it is raining, sunburnt then put a hat on.

me with all this science implanted into such a simple affair, her advice will do me.

enjoy

one day we may return to observation and common sense, in our area early in the year in a dry spell the official rain guage recorded 50mm of rain but no one in our area had had rain, weather reporter copped heaps of flack that he didn't realy deserve.