Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popke

Cabbage loopers on cucs

Krit Pop
10 years ago

My big and beautiful cucumber plant is being overtaken by cabbage loopers. They have gone from eating the leaves to eating the fruit. We have tried Neem Oil but it hasn't helped. Should we try a more aggressive spray? Yesterday we bought some praying mantis eggs but they haven't hatched yet. If we spray the plant will it hurt them?
How far gone is too far gone for recovery? Should we cut off the damaged leaves or leave them. We are new to veggie gardening.Our plant is in a large container and is climbing a trellis. How long does a cucumber plant typically produce for in FL zone 9?
Thank you so much!!!

Comments (13)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Spray with BT -- available at any home improvement or nursery. Will not harm beneficials like the mantids. Also, a fly swatter works wonders on the adults.

Kevin

• cait1219
    10 years ago

I'm a newbie too and I'm not sure if I had cabbage loopers or some other type of caterpillar/worm but they were eating my eggplants like crazy (the leaves). I sat out there on a stool and had some tongs and I picked every single one of them off and killed them (or you can put them in a bucket of soapy water). After I was done I moved my plants (which are also in containers) to the other side of the yard and so far so good! I check daily now but there's been no sightings and no new damage.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    10 years ago

sounds great Kevin the flyswatter route... but how to get the good for nothings to hold still.... Please they bug the heck out of me too,
    Thanks

10 years ago

jeanwedding: I didn't say it was easy .LOL. You actually have to hunt them down as they flutter all over the yard and then finally land on some foliage. Then you have to sneak up on them -- they're very sensitive to YOU.

BT's the way to go, though. It's the young(caterpillars) that do all the damage. I just try to swat the adults to lessen the outbreak of future generations.

Kevin

• Krit Pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much!!!

• dog_wood_2010
    10 years ago

Well, I've been using food grade Diatomaceous earth which you can pick up real cheap at any garden center. It works. Also consider companion plantings like marigolds, basil, onions, Nasturtiums that naturally keep pests away. Don't count on the praying mantis. By the time they hatch and grow up, your cucs will be long gone. Cucs are the prima donnas of the veggie garden.

• Krit Pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much!!!

10 years ago

Never heard of DE working on FLYING pests, just crawling like ants, earwigs, fleas and slugs.

And no... I do not consider caterpillars that are born in foliage to be a crawling insect. JMO

Kevin

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

You have only one plant? Hand pick them off! It's gardening entertainment!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

You have only one plant? Hand pick them off! It's gardening entertainment!

• Krit Pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol Susan yes we only have one plant, we are newbies! I'm so disgusted with those little boogers I think I would get entertainment from that!

• kapt_karrot
    10 years ago

I just found some cab loopers today on my broccoli I only have three plants so I just pic the little Nasty sob's off by hand and squish them with a rock very satisfying and entertaining .

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Bt is one of the oldest and safest organic pesticides around. It's a bacteria that kills the larva of mosqitos, fruit flies and moths. It does no harm to anything else. And it's cheap. It's sold as Dipel in dust form or thuricide as a liquid.