Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who is makign these holes?

Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 14:12

After setting up raised beds and soil, I noticed the next morning these holes and burrows. Who could be making these? I had thought squirrels but I do have a sound based squirrel repellant - not sure if that works.

Any advice would be useful. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who is makign these holes?

It can be Chip Monks or Squirrels.

o

Birds can do that too.

o

Chipmunks....

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 15:22

My various little lizards also do it.

Dave

o

Birds can make holes searching for insects. Toads will dig burrows in soft ground to hide from the sun. Mole crickets also dig burrows. It might be worthwhile to gently dig in & around several of the holes to see if anything is still there.

o

Maybe voles? (field mice)

o

Chipmunks and voles do it here. I have holes just like that all over my property.

o

Skunks do it as well - their holes are usually deeper and wider, but I see them sometime from my window starting to dig and move to another spot, leaving holes like on the picture.

o

• Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 12:32

Thanks for all the inputs. So far it was done only on one day so its OK. I will try and see if I can catch any intruder early morning or late evening! Appreciate all your inputs,

o

Just about a week ago, I was visiting a friend. I saw a pot that wad dug just like that. Lo and behold, few minutes later a chipmonk came started doing it in front of our eyes. We covered the pots with chicken wire.

Those hole are two big for birds and too small for things like skunk , raccoon.

o

• Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 23:30

Yes darn those chipmunks!! There's one I think that eats my strawberries every morning. He is always near my strawberry plants. Some of them look obese due to the amount of things they eat from our garden :-]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here