Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Skyscraper Sweet Corn

Posted by bigcorn (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 14:16

Anybody have or raise any of this corn? Gardener's choice online is the only place I have seen this corn avertised and I am curious to see If anybody might have heard/raised this type of corn, If by chance somebody does have any of this I would like to buy some The company is finished sending for the year, and they got a TON of negative reviews sooo I guess dealing with them is not a good idea, but anyways I seen It on there website and was just curios.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Skyscraper Sweet Corn

There are several varieties of corn that grow to 10 feet or more. These are usually dent corn, not sweet corn. The so-called Giant Skyscraper Corn is likely one of these and is being sold as a novelty. Why am I suspicious that Gardener's Choice may be doing such a thing? Just because "they got a TON of negative reviews"? Yep.

Also, I'm suspicious because it reminds me of the offers of "tree tomatoes" for which colorful ads pop up regularly. The plant is a relative of tomato, but is not a tomato.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Dent Corn

o

Some of the giant corns are editable in early stages of growth. They are not very sweet. Advertising 2 ft ears and very tall. It is used primarially for silage cutting for livestock.

o

I am growing Jala Giant corn this year. It is one of the very few varieties that produces 25 ft tall stalks. I don't have any that tall yet, but mine are now about 10 ft tall and still growing. I would be happy if it just gets to 15 feet.

I am also growing Inca Giant corn this year. This corn is not so tall, but the individual kernels are as large as a nickel.

Both of these corns are tropical adapted which means they may not produce at all here in my zone 7 garden. I'm growing them just on the possibility they will mature. I also will try crossing them with a highly adapted white corn I have maintained for the last 20 years.

DarJones

o

• Posted by imp_ 7b, n. Tx (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 23:42

Jala corn gets 25 feet tall? How would you harvest it ( how would you know it was ready to harvest???)???

Wait, that may well be the corn for that red noodle bean to be able to climb up on!

o

I trust what Darrel Jones says and I learned something today. Ten feet and possibly fifteen more to go!!!! Wow!!!! That would be amazing.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here