Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Skyscraper Sweet Corn

Posted by bigcorn (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 14:16

Anybody have or raise any of this corn? Gardener's choice online is the only place I have seen this corn avertised and I am curious to see If anybody might have heard/raised this type of corn, If by chance somebody does have any of this I would like to buy some The company is finished sending for the year, and they got a TON of negative reviews sooo I guess dealing with them is not a good idea, but anyways I seen It on there website and was just curios.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Skyscraper Sweet Corn

There are several varieties of corn that grow to 10 feet or more. These are usually dent corn, not sweet corn. The so-called Giant Skyscraper Corn is likely one of these and is being sold as a novelty. Why am I suspicious that Gardener's Choice may be doing such a thing? Just because "they got a TON of negative reviews"? Yep.

Also, I'm suspicious because it reminds me of the offers of "tree tomatoes" for which colorful ads pop up regularly. The plant is a relative of tomato, but is not a tomato.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Dent Corn

o

Some of the giant corns are editable in early stages of growth. They are not very sweet. Advertising 2 ft ears and very tall. It is used primarially for silage cutting for livestock.

o

I am growing Jala Giant corn this year. It is one of the very few varieties that produces 25 ft tall stalks. I don't have any that tall yet, but mine are now about 10 ft tall and still growing. I would be happy if it just gets to 15 feet.

I am also growing Inca Giant corn this year. This corn is not so tall, but the individual kernels are as large as a nickel.

Both of these corns are tropical adapted which means they may not produce at all here in my zone 7 garden. I'm growing them just on the possibility they will mature. I also will try crossing them with a highly adapted white corn I have maintained for the last 20 years.

DarJones

o

• Posted by imp_ 7b, n. Tx (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 23:42

Jala corn gets 25 feet tall? How would you harvest it ( how would you know it was ready to harvest???)???

Wait, that may well be the corn for that red noodle bean to be able to climb up on!

o

I trust what Darrel Jones says and I learned something today. Ten feet and possibly fifteen more to go!!!! Wow!!!! That would be amazing.

Jim

o

Hi All,

I ordered and grew "Skyscraper White Sweet Corn" from Gardeners Choice, I believe. Gardeners' Choice filled the order but was not responsive otherwise.

My corn grew to 14 feet and provided large ears of ghostly white sweet corn, very tender. I've always wanted to try it again. It was definitely not feed corn; and all my neighbours were amazed. One expert said I wouldn't get any ears off it because it had grown too tall.
I got 18 ears off 7 plants.

Perhaps GC isn't careful, but they weren't lying for me.

je

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here