Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanisle_bc

Alaska & other peas

vanisle_bc
10 years ago

I tried pea "Alaska" for the first time this year. They're certainly early but I won't grow them again. Their big advantage seems to be their early vigour. And for me their big disadvantage is also their early vigour! These vines are 8-10 feet tall and a nuisance to train whereas the peas I like to grow don't go past 4 feet. Additionally, Alaska pods are small - 7 peas is a VERY BIG pod - and I think the peas lose their flavour quicker than most if not picked in time.

"Maestro" about which I've raved elsewhere are just as early as Alaska (I planted them together.) They don't grow tall and produce on average 7-8 tasty peas in the pod. Big pods have 10.

Two others I'm trying this year are Paladio and Green Arrow. Both look like being very productive but are not so early - Planted same time as the others but not ready for picking yet.

What peas do others like to grow; what are their characteristics? In snow or snap peas I've only grown Oregon Giant, which admittedly do get over 4 feet tall but not too much.

Comments (4)

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

you certainly have good growing conditions, I occasionally grow Alaska, but mostly Willet wonder as a winter over pea. Both are smooth seed peas which are are not as sweet or tender as a wrinkle seeded pea. Alaska is taller than most but does not get over three feet for me. Green Arrow is very productive and has great flavor.
    {{gwi:70334}} Dakota has been my shortest productive pea, good flavor. {{gwi:17498}} Caseload has been good, gets maybe two feet. {{gwi:70335}} Mr. Big has huge pods on a short vine {{gwi:17500}} Strike is good and vines only go around two feet {{gwi:34499}} Willet Wonder has shorter vines, flavor is similar to Alaska {{gwi:17504}} Bolero has avergae vines but grows and produces well. {{gwi:70336}} Dark Green Perfection is about average {{gwi:70337}} Premium does well here {{gwi:17496}} Survivor is a short vine alfila type that is both productive and tasty. {{gwi:70338}} Knight, Little Marvel, and Thomas Laxton have been poor performers for me.

• vanisle_bc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

farmerdill; that's a lot of peas! Where are you? Overwintering wouldn't work here so I assume you have balmy winters but then why do your Alaska stop at 3 feet tall - summer too hot for them?

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Very much so. Triple digits is normal for June. I don't use nitrogen on peas. so vines are small but productive. I do not grow varieties that I have to trellis. Too much work for me. On the other hands the vines get about the height advertised. Alaska is normally a 2 1/2 - 3 ft pea. Our winters occasional dip into the teens but middle 20's is the norm. Peas planted in late fall handle freezing temps as long as the ground does not freeze in the root zone. Re reading your description, I don't think you have Alaska. It has very small pods and small peas. Never had a pea grow over six ft mostly snap peas, although Tall Telephone will also. Never got any production from Tall Telephone tho. Freezonian, I grew years ago, very productive but got 4 ft tall. I planted double rows and strung a fence between the rows. I was younger and more energetic then.

• Anne Wolfley
    10 years ago

I grow sugar snap peas because they seem to like this climate (central NC), are highly productive and very tasty, but they get very tall. Like 8 feet tall. Mine always end up falling over on the top because I don't have any trellises or bamboo rods that are high enough for them. I've never had a lot of luck with English peas - the productivity just isn't that great. I'd need to plant tons and tons of plants to have enough so that it's worthwhile.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz