Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

how different are these two fertilizers?

njitgrad
10 years ago

If you look at the labels (see below) for Espoma's GardenTone and PlantTone you will see that the labels are practically identical except for the N-P-K numbers.

PlantTone GardenTone

Not being very knowledgable about fertilizers I hope someone can answer a few questions I have and put things in perspective for me:

1) If both are made with the same ingredients, is it the ratio of said ingredients that determines the NPK?

2) The GardenTone is 3-4-4 and PlantTone is 5-3-3. Other than the fact that PlantTone is higher in N and GardenTone is higher in P and K than PlantTone what does this tell me in terms of when one would be more suitable for use over the other. It would I assume have to depend on a number of factors, most importantly the current condition of the soil & plant.

3) Are these two fertilizers that different or is it really a marketing tool?

Comments (5)

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

1. yes
    2. Some plants (and some soils) need more nitrogen. While neither of these is high in nitrogen 5-3-3 would be preferable where more nitrogen is needed.
    3. about like comparing a Ford to a Chevrolet.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

3. about like comparing a Ford to a Chevrolet.

SO, only the old stuff is worthy? :P

Kevin

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

1. yes

2. that's why you need to know the nutrient needs of the various plants you are growing. Or at least the needs of the basic classes of vegetables - root crops, fruiting crops, and leafy green crops. Then you have to factor in the soil condition and nutrient levels and the method of growing (in ground or in containers).

An old garden adage has more than a grain of truth in it. "N for shoots, P and K for blooms and roots."

3. no

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:55

• Michael
    10 years ago

Those may be being sold more for potted plants where you would want to lean towards higher N to get foliar growth early on and use the lower N one for getting the foliar growth to ease up and the plants to develop and maintain flowers and/or fruit. It is likely the Higher N fertilizer will be more acidic than the other, haven't scrutinized the labels yet.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It does not mater who made them or selling them, they are basically different.
    5-3-3- is richer in N, for things like leafy greens, 46%N, 27%P, 27%K'(comparatively)
    3-4-4 is the opposite. 27%N, 36.5%P, 36.5%K. This better for things that flower/root/fruit. I would use this one for tomatoes.

I think they manufacture each element(N, P, K) separately and then mix them at various ratios with inactive ingredients.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner