Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla_12

Squash is too big!

carla_12
9 years ago

Any idea why my squash is getting so big before it turns yellow? This is the second one that is about 12 inches long! The plants are just now going from producing a lot of flowers to producing the squash and a couple have been normal size. This one finally starting to turn yellow so I went ahead and picked it hoping it will finish the yellowing process before it starts rotting...

Comments (16)

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Given that you aren't sure what was planted where, that sure looks more like a way over ripe zucchini than an under ripe yellow squash to me.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

What variety is it supposed to be?

• nwheritagegardener
    9 years ago

What variety is it? Looks like just a regular zucchini to me! Are you sure it's supposed to get yellow?

• Weicker
    9 years ago

There are zucchini varieties that don't get dark green and are supposed to look like that...

Do you know what you planted?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Agree. Yellow squash, whether it be crookneck, straightneck, zucchini, or scallop will be yellow from the gitgo. Summer squash are used very young and should never change color. {{gwi:70531}} {{gwi:70532}} {{gwi:70533}} {{gwi:70534}}

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Once the squash is picked, it will definitely not keep turning color.

Sometimes the yellow colored summer squash fruits will come out a paler shade later on in the season, instead of the original bright color. But the photo looks more like a zucchini yellowing from overripeness.

• carla_12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's straightneck squash. I forgot to plant zucchini this year (I just realized that!! Bummer!!) I've attached 3 photos of three "different" little squash on the vines that seem to be doing great...these are on the same row of plants that the other larger squash came off of.

• carla_12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maybe it is summer squash! I do know it is squash but remember, mine is the garden where I kept the garden layout on the computer that died! If it is summer squash, why would it get so big? Both the big ones grew huge within a few days of each other! I'm going to cut it open in a couple of days and see how big the seeds are, etc.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

If the two big squash came from the same plant, and if they are in the same row as your other yellow squash and from the same packet of seeds then a rogue seed got mixed in.

As for why they got so big, that's because you let them.

Rodney

• carla_12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was waiting for this one to turn yellow like the other large one did. The other big one looked and tasted like a regular squash but I don't like the seeds to get so big! This one seemed like it was never going to go from green to yellow. I should have just left it on the vine to see how big it would have gotten before it did turn yellow!

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I believe there's a miscommunication happening. Those big ones were never meant to turn yellow. They are from a rogue seed of a different variety that got mixed in with the others. The reason they eventually turned yellow (or started to) and the reason they got so big and the reason they had big seeds is because they are overmature.

If you had picked them while they were smaller they wouldn't have big seeds. They would have been green, yes, but that's the way these particular squash were supposed to be. They are not a yellow straightneck like your other plants. In your second photo you can see that a normal yellow straightneck is yellow from the very beginning.

Rodney

• carla_12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, got cha. I know the area they came from so I'll keep an eye out for any other ones that start off like that. Thanks for explaining.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The two yellow ones in your photos are at picking stage now. Don't leave them on the vine so long regardless of what color they are.

If the plant produces more green ones just pick and eat them. Don't leave them on the vine to see how big they get. You have to keep picking for the plant to keep producing. Giants left on the vine just tend to shut the plant down.

Dave

• carla_12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

k, will do. Guess we'll have squash for dinner tonight!

• hnycrk
    9 years ago

Nice looking squash farmerdill!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I am by no means up on squash since I only grow zucchini.(Courgettes) However, the last two pictures you showed and identified as yellow straight neck squash look exactly like my yellow zucchini. Are you sure that's not what they are? I usually grow a variety called Jemmer. It does sometimes start to bulge in the middle if left a little too long but it is definitely a Zucchini. I always grow yellow so I can see them to pick and none get overlooked to grow into monsters.