Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Earwig Control

skeip
9 years ago

Came out last night after dark to find my Basil seedlings being pretty heavily browsed by earwigs. I read through some of the old forums and they talk mostly about control on ornamentals, not edibles. I really don't want to use Slugo or one of the toxic baits, and I believe that all the traps do is lure them in, just like the old Japanese Beetle Trap Joke!!

My question is regarding insecticidal soap. Does it have a residual effect if sprayed on the plants, or is it only effective if sprayed directly on the insects? I don't need to kill them necessarily, just drive them away with a bad taste in their mouths!!

Any other ideas also appreciated. TYIA!

Steve

Comments (11)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I had a bad infestation of earwigs two years running and Basil was their favorite plant. I couldn't figure out what was doing the damage until I went out at night with a flashlight. Very evident, with them chewing and crawling all over many plants. Echinacea was their other favorite.

I grow organically and don't spray. I used a cup of soapy water, a headlamp [g], and a gloved hand, to knock them into the cup. Greatly reduced the population, but I did stick with it night after night until I stopped getting damage and could barely find an earwig. I seem to remember I had to figure out the best time to see them too.

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

I have a terrible earwig problem. They have taken out three ornamental basil plants and heavily damaged the others. Nothing I have tried works as I too am organic. I just wait them out. After the population explosion, damage decreases.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I've heard of things like rolling up wet newspaper and setting them in your garden. Earwigs will crawl inside for shelter. Pick them up (in the morning?) and toss...or better yet, throw them in a burn pile and toss a match.

I've never tried it as I don't grow things that earwigs come for in my area (like corn, artichokes), but it seems logical.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

They are nasty. I wish there was some kind of spray/treatment or something. Rolling wet newspaper, oil dish are not options for me. I have learned how to deal with slugs but not earwigs, YET.

• Greg
    9 years ago

Earwigs are by far the biggest problem I have in my garden. They can be really hard on plants especially when they are young. I found that you can reduce their numbers but you never truly get rid of them. The best thing that worked for me was to place a damp towel on a hard surface like a tree limb or section of shaded concrete. After a couple of days turn the towel over and let the chickens ave a feast. This method has gotten the earwig population down to a point to where they don't do too much damage in the garden. I have to admit that a few years ago when their numbers were really high I had to sprinkle Sevin dust on my newly planted pawpaw seedling other wise they would have killed it.

• chas045
    9 years ago

skeip, in CA we had tons of earwigs and snails. I didn't care about poison and often used the snail bait. Sluggo, I guess. If I hadn't used seven or sluggo, I would have used the newspaper routine and burned the buggers. Newspaper doesn't have any pheromones and couldn't possibly be like Japanese beetle traps.

• skeip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK! So last night mixed up a little Dawn and water in a spray bottle and went out after the varmints!! I doused them pretty good and probably saw a several dozen on my Basil seedlings. Dieing, squirming, rushing away, pretty gratifying all in all. We'lll see what happens again tonight!

Steve

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

sluggo+

• howelbama
    9 years ago

^+1 on the Sluggo Plus, or some knock off of it. Used properly and in moderation, it is very effective and safe.

All sluggo is is iron phosphate, the plus has spinosad in it, which is what will take care of the earwigs.

It is a pelleted bait, so it is very unlikely to effect any of your good guys like bees and wasps.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Slugo ? does slug bait kill earwigs ? I am not sure about that.

• howelbama
    9 years ago

Sluggo PLUS does seysonn.... It is sluggo with spinosad added to it.