Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Sweet Potato Seed Itself?

chueh
10 years ago

Last summer I planted 2 kinds of sweet potatoes for eating: one for their tubers and another for leaves only. The kind for leaves only did not flower or grow tubers. Their leaf shape is slightly different from that of the tuber kind. Also, the leaves are complete and solid green.

This year, I only planted the kind that produces leaves only. However, there is this tuber type of sweet potato plant with the maroon color tinted with green variegated leaves) in the same bed located only one foot away from the tuber I harvested last year. Does sweet potato seed itself that easily? Or did I not completely dig up the tuber last year?
{{gwi:70716}}

Also, there are a few vine seedlings in the same bed looking like either sweet potato or morning glory. Which one is it?
{{gwi:70719}}

I have had tons of morning glory like seedling grown (the first two leaves in a fork shape) in the same bed I pulled and wondered why so many morning glory seeds landed in the bed. Now I suspect them actually to be sweet potato. I pulled them all out, so I don't have any photos to show you, but drew the shape of the young seedling that is just sprouted.
{{gwi:70723}}

Thanks

Comments (3)