Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this be good? Garden soup!! Need opinions!

Posted by Mindyw3 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 14:44

Ok, so I'm low on grocery money this week. This is what I just pulled out of the garden:

1 small green cabbage
Scallions
Parsley
Rosemary
Green basil (Genovese)
2 squash blossoms (1 female)
Assorted lettuce
Peas (just a lunch bag full)
Fresh oregano
1 fennel bulb just starting to bolt
2 celery stalks with greens

I have a can of white beans

I was thinking of grabbing some bacon and tossing everything in a pot minus the fennel, lettuce and squash blossoms. What do you think?

Not sure if the lettuce has gone bitter. If not soup and salad tonight and fish steamed with the fennel tomorrow.

Probably just batter and fry the squash blossoms for my boys.

I don't know about that herb combo though or cabbage with celery....

But my boyfriend may be coming for dinner tonight so I don't want it to be disgusting. lol

Also have a loaf of peasant bread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this be good? Garden soup!! Need opinions!

cabbage soup with bacon and beans sounds good!

o

I also have goat cheese and one ear of corn in the fridge! Just adding.

o

Well, I've put the celery, some scallions and rosemary in a pot of water with salt, peppercorns and a bay leaf. I'll let those go for an hour or so and see how that base is working.

o

Mmmmm! When's dinner? Not a bad meal for being low on grocery money.

o

Thanks booberry! lol So far so good. We shall see what the boyfriend and kids think. Tough crowd!

o

So hot and humid here I can't think about soup. Hope it turns out.

FWIW, I probably would have steamed the peas, tossed with pasta and tuna, basil and maybe a little oregano, olive oil and a pat of butter. Maybe the goat cheese if no tuna - or have the cheese with lettuce, EVOO, a little balsamic vinegar, and if you have any dried cranberries, fresh strawberries, and walnuts or pecans that would make a good salad (though I prefer spinach to lettuce).

o

Everything you have sounds a lot better than what's in the grocery stores ! Garden fresh too !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here