Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Anyway to keep spinach and broccoli alive.....

catherinet
9 years ago

over the entire summer?
I don't mean to keep it edible.......just sort of "store" it in the ground, so it can resprout in Fall?
It's probably a stupid question, but thought I'd ask.

Comments (10)

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Spinach - no. But it's easy to start again come fall.

Broccoli - yes, if you have the right variety that produces a lot of side shoots. You don't really have to do anything with it, but the sprouts in summer don't taste the best.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

What ltilton said.

I have no problem eating summer side shoots. Just have to harvest before they become loose and bolt. Heavy mulch works wonders.

Kevin

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So are you saying I should just try to keep them producing all summer and eating them? Or do I just make sure they are making little side shoots and cut them off before they can make seeds?
    If I do this right, will they start making bigger heads, come Fall?

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Either way. Side shoot production will slow down in summer. You can eat them if you like them, or cut them and toss them before they flower. Come fall, and lots of water and fertilizer, of course, you should have nice big side shoots. Especially if you have the right sort of variety.

You'll also have huge woody broccoli stems to pull up.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Agree that spinach is a no. Same with lots of lettuces. Though they will likely last longer in your zone than in mine. If someone could solve that problem they'd make a mint. Wait! they did with some of the newer heat tolerant varieties like Spinner,Correnta, and Tyee.

Broccoli, no you won't get big heads again in the fall. Plant doesn't work that way - 1 head and the rest is side shoots.

As Ltilton said you can get some ok side shoots later if you keep it going but they tend to be tougher, chewier, and not as tasty IME. Much better to just plant new plants for a fall crop

Dave.

• glib
    9 years ago

Broccoli -> gai lan. Ready in about 35 days, replant as needed

Spinach -> amaranth or chard. Plant once. Not sure if Malabar spinach makes it there, but it could be an option.

In fall, get the real spinach and real broccoli again

9 years ago

As Dave mentioned, the side shoots tend to get woody, so the tighter the better. But.... one way to prevent from chomping down on woody stalk is when preparing your dish, take a knife and give a slight chop down on the stalk. If there's resistance to go all the way through, inch your way up the stalk towards the floret. When there's no resistance of the knife slicing right through, no more woodiness.

Kevin

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    woohooman......that's how I deal with my asparagus......it's real easy to know what to keep it that way.

9 years ago

Yep. Same thing catherine. Though I watch chefs snap asparagus which, imo, leaves some of the good stuff behind.

Kevin

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Re. asparagus: I often do a second snap on the portion left behind, and include the top part with the initial tops.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES