Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edweather

SVB "season?'

Is there a SVB "season" in the northeast, or is the "season" all summer long?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Can't find a life cycle tag for New York - even Cornell doesn't have one. But CN is listed as 1st week July. In PA -" adults emerge in mid-to-late June. Moths will oviposit throughout July and August. Eggs are oviposited singularly or in small groups on the stem immediately above the ground surface. Eggs take a week to 10 days to hatch." In Maine - 2nd week July.

The life cycle progresses north about a week at a time so northern NY should be mid-July and central NY last week in June to 1st week July approx. May be a bit delayed this year due to weather. Fortunately the northeast only has 1 cycle per year. In the south we have 2 cycles.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• User
    10 years ago

What I'd really like to see is a comprehensive pest calendar.

• Donna
    10 years ago

Amen! Anyone working on a thesis or dissertation? What a useful topic that would be! I'd pay for one.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

For the whole country??? That would be nigh on to impossible. You can make your own with notes of dates. May take a couple of years to fine tune it but with a bit of attention you can have a very accurate one for your garden within a couple of seasons. Or usually your local county ag extension office has one for your area.

Don't know why New York extension doesn't apparently have one but i sure couldn't find it on their website.

Dave

• glib
    10 years ago

A database would be hard to use. I fully expect the SVB to be two weeks late this year, compared to last year.

• User
    10 years ago

They have a database for some pests, but for many of the ones I'm interested in you have to first enter a biofix date. If I had a biofix date, I wouldn't need the database!

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I was considering delaying pumpkins this year in the hopes of missing the borers. Our pumpkins are usually ready way too early anyway. Kinda running out of time.

• planatus
    10 years ago

I use the phenology sign of the wild chicory blooming for the 5-6 week flight time of this moth. You can be more scientific by using growing degree days, according to the University of KY.

"Adult emergence occurs at approximately 1000 degree days (base 50F with a Jan 1 biofix) in the early summer. Use 950 degree days as the time to begin monitoring plants weekly for initial signs of the borer's frass at entrance holes in the stems. This usually corresponds to mid June as the start of the adult flight."

WIKI has a short chart that connects growing degree days with tree and shrub bloom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growing-degree_day). Where I am, I think we are at about 500 growing degree days right now. There are apps for keeping up with GDDs, smart farmers use them all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: UKY squash pests