Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lm13_gw

Wrapping lower stems of cucumber vines to block SVB eggs?

lm13
10 years ago

I've planted several cucumbers this year and kept them covered until they got big enough to climb. Last year the SVB ruined my cucumbers, so I have tried to use physical barriers this year as my first defense. The net cages I used came off this week (upside down laundry bags from the Dollar Store) and I wanted to protect the lower stem where the SVB like to lay eggs. I wrapped the stems in long strips of tshirt material down below dirt level up to the first leaves or so. After thinking it over last night, I am second guessing myself.

1. Do you think when the material gets wet it could encourage rotting at the stem or fungal infections?

2. Will the borer be able to chew through layers of tshirt material?

If this is a bad idea, any other options for wrapping or am I just wasting my time? They just look so vulnerable without some sort of protection.

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

1) yes, very likely

2) I doubt it.

More importantly why are you removing the covers right now as SVB season is about to begin in zone 7? This is when they need the cover the most.

Stem wrapping on squash, their normal plant, no matter the material used (even foil) hasn't never really proven to be effective so I doubt it would work on cukes either. I can't attest to that personally as they never bother my cukes, just my squash.

Dave

• lm13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They outgrew the enclosures I had them in. I believe I posted in another thread about my experience with tulle over my squash - the borer laid eggs through the holes. I don't have the money to go to the expense of actual row covers, but that will be the plan for next year. I am attaching pictures of my trellis and the previous covers I had them under.

Guess I will have to unwrap the stems, keep an eye out and hope they leave them alone this year. They already laid eggs on the first 2 cukes I planted in early May. I ripped those plants out and planted new ones in a separate bed. Haven't seen new eggs on anything in about a week, but based on last year, SVBs will be around through mid July.

Thanks for your input Dave. At least they won't die of stem rot. Haha

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

They already laid eggs on the first 2 cukes I planted in early May.

Are you 100% sure they were SVB eggs? Awfully early for them especially this year when the hatch has been delayed for a couple of weeks by the early spring weather. Where in zone 7 are you? They don't normally turn up until mid June at the earliest here.

Dave

• lm13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Birmingham, AL. I transplanted May 3rd and eggs showed up May 21st. Absolutely positive they were SVB eggs. I picked hundreds of SVB eggs off squash, zucchini and cucumbers last year. I could spot those things from a mile away. Haha. I thought it much too early as well, but I guess these just wanted to ruin my summer as soon as possible.

I put in four new beds this year, so that took up a lot of my gardening budget. I'll be able to put my money for next year's garden towards row cover and maybe drip irrigation. Using soaker hoses currently - not that I've really needed them too much with all the rain we have had!