Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

random zuke, what do I do

njitgrad
10 years ago

A few weeks ago I noticed a zuke out of the blue growing right next to my home about 50+feet away from my garden. How on earth did it get there? Apparently it likes being where it is but I am hesitant to harvest anything from it for two reasons. One, I have no idea what the previous owner used to treat the soil since it is a mulched flower bed with nearby hostas, a hydrangea, and some other ratty shrub. Two, I personally treated the entire area the past two seasons with roundup to kill weeds as needed.

As you can tell it looks quite healthy so this is going to be a tough call.

What would you do? Cull it? Leave it?

{{gwi:71488}}

{{gwi:71490}}

This post was edited by njitgrad on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 15:18

Comments (16)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Keep it! It's the healthiest squash plant in the world, just gorgeous. Roundup from 2 years ago shouldn't be an issue.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Agreed: Round -up is very short lived. If there were any present or any other herbicide for that matter. the plant would not be there.

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've used roundup on that area earlier this season before I noticed the zuke growing.

I'm still looking for theories on how it got there to begin with.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Volunteers are very common in gardening and happen many different ways. A dropped seed, seeds in mulch or compost, squirrels and mice move them, birds pick them up and drop them, rain washes them to new locations, kids play with them, etc.

Shoot, one can stick to the sole of your shoe and end up there for that matter. In the end it really doesn't matter how it got there. It did and it's doing fine. Sure no reason to pull it but it is your plant, your choice.

Dave

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well, look here. Some of us are trying hard to grow something like that and have so many problems. Now you've got one without any effort. I called this a Natural Blessing. BINGO !

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:35

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Zuke fairy???

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If it is a zuke then it wasn't a result of the seeds I used. Can anyone help identify it? My neighbor has something similar growning in her garden (in large quantities I might add).

Pics from today....

{{gwi:71491}}

{{gwi:71492}}

• brighteyesLC7
    10 years ago

Not sure what type. It's pretty and very healthy looking though! Just wait and see how they turn out! No squash is a bad squash in my book! Like the previous poster said, the seed may have been carried over from your neighbor's garden by birds or other wildlife. Looks like you got lucky!

• oldNORTHstateBBQco
    10 years ago

Looks like it could be a variety of pumpkin. We get them all over the yard. Our dogs love fresh pumpkin around carving time in October. I'll let you deduct how the seeds were deposited.

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking pumpkin as well but wasn't sure.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Could be a magna, or one of the rounder varieties like 8 ball.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://parkseed.com/squash-magda-hybrid/p/05784-PK-P1/

• ltilton
    10 years ago

It's a bush plant, not likely to be a pumpkin, just too small. I'd vote for the 8 ball or a similar squash.

btw, looks like a smidgen of PM on those leaves

This post was edited by ltilton on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 20:18

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the mystery squash at 10 days later....any idea what it is at this point? Looks like a green pumpkin to me.

{{gwi:71494}}

{{gwi:71497}}

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Congratulations, you've got a pumpkin!

Did you happen to carve jack o lanterns anywhere in the area, or throw the guts in your compost?

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I've never grown a pumpkin before so this should be interesting. Probably a dumb question but when will they turn orange and be ready to pick? Early October I assume? Judging by their current size in mid-July they are going to be massive in Oct.

BTW, it turns out that my neighbor planted them in her garden so it must have been transferred to my flower bed by an animal. These plants are voracious...they took over her whole garden. The leeks she had growing there a few weeks ago are M.I.A.