Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maestro80_gw

Bug eating my pepper plants. What to do?

Maestro80
9 years ago

There is something eating my Yum-Yum Gold Pepper plants and I can't figure out what it is. The plants went from having beautiful green foliage to a sickly light yellow/green. They have had plenty of water but this pest is clearly effecting them from growing well. I just clipped off a few of the tiny, young peppers so the plant will focus on healthy growth and not producing under these sickly conditions.

The bug is leaving behind some kind of white residue (see picture). I spotted one flea beetle under a leaf but I didn't think they left behind this white residue.

Any ideas what this pest is and what to do? I want to use some kind of organic solution so please let me know if you have ideas besides the typical soap/water solution.

Thanks!

- Matt

Comments (7)

• Maestro80
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture...

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

What you are seeing is minor environmental damage to the leaves which poses no threat to the plant at this time. And given the lime green color, a severe case of over-watering and nutrient deficiency.

There is one spot I see of possible slug damage and residue but it is minor as well. But they will thrive in that very wet soil. Organic controls are available for slugs but they will only be visible at night.

Peppers do not like wet feet. They prefer to dry out between waterings. And they would love to get some quick acting fertilizer, especially some nitrogen.

Dave

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Don't know if you're overwatering or not -- you didn't say how moist you keep the soil. Is the soil wet, moist or dry?

The plants are definitely functioning at a low level. Another reason could be low, or no, fertilizer.

• Maestro80
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just put in this new square-foot garden bed this year and it seems like it always needs more water. I've been watering almost every day. The rest of my veggies seem to to like it. I'll back off on the peppers though - didn't realize they don't like that much water. Any other veggie plants that don't like "wet feet"?

I used a three part compilation of Peat Moss, Vermiculite, and a variety of composts for the soil (manure, mushroom, worm casting, etc.) It's hard to believe that it would be low on nutrients so soon. You think they really needs extra nitrogen?

Thanks for the insight!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yes it is obvious from the plant color that they need nutrients. You don't list any added except possibly the manure. Compost and such can only provide nutrients to the plants if there is an active soil food web to digest them and convert them to a form usable by the plants - basic principle of organic gardening. A new bed with no soil will not have a soil food web in it.

Watering daily is excessive for most all vegetables. Results in shallow-rooted and water dependent plants as well as root rot.

Dave

• ju1234
    9 years ago

Looks like your plants can use soluble rapid absorption fertilizer.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I don't really get the square foot garden mixture. I don't think peat moss and vermiculite offer much in the way of nutrients, and in high concentrations are going to dry out fast. I've been filling my beds with what a local quarry calls "veggie mix", which I think is a mix of top soil and compost and maybe something else. But a reputable quarry in your area is going to provide the best soil mixture for growing, IMO. I top my beds off with it every couple years. Alternate years, I throw in composted steer manure, and I continually turn it into the clay soil underneath to get the mixture deeper and deeper every year. Rarely do I fertilize during the growing season, I only water every few days, even when temps get up in the 90's, and I get good results.

When it comes time to top off your beds with new soil, I would really consider trying something different. You might find you don't have to water so much and will get better results.