Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burpless Cukes

Posted by MsMorningSong SW FL 10A (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 15:23

I love the taste of cukes, but can not handle the burps afterwards. It hurts my chest and lungs, so I have never attempted them. Who here has grown truly burpless cukes, what are their names?
I have never even drank soda because I can't handle the CO2.
Thanx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burpless Cukes

I don't have a problem digesting regular cukes so I can't tell you from experience that the "burpless" cukes are absolutely burpless for everyone. These oriental cukes are delicous however,with thin tender skins and no bitternes. Popular varieties are Diva, Sweet Slice. Sweet Success, Sweeter Yet. Summer Dance...

o

Thanks Farmerdill. I love Oriental veggies, will give those a better look :)

o

Scoop out the center. I believe that's what causes digestive problems. I eat only the fleshy part and only grow Diva cukes which claim to be burpless.

o

Deleted duplicate post

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 21:49

o

I don't like the cucumber burps either. Burpless varieties: Armenian (i like this best), Persian, English, most Japanese varieties.

o

Hybrid Sweet Slice is one I grow every year, along with Diva and Cool Breeze.

o

Thank you so much for all of the responses. It looks like Diva is getting everyone's vote, so will try that. Also, the Armenian is a relative of cuke, but sounds so tempting, I might try this one as well. Just for a chance of different flavor. ju_12234, what exactly does it taste like to you?
It also says it's great for hot climates, which I have.

o

• Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 12:46

On Seed Savers Exchange there is an organic cucumber variety called "Poona Kheera" which is not only an absolutely delicious cucumber variety but has less "burp effects" and the burps, if at all are actually less bothersome. Just make sure you harvest these cukes before the skin turns brown.

I am growing this variety this year as well in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poona Kheera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here