Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

Front Lawn Gone Farm - some pix

deep___roots
10 years ago

So far, so good with this project.
I started removing the grass in February.
By early May all the grass was gone, I had ameded the soil and was ready to plant.
I have harvested 2 zuchinni so far. I see 3 little pumpkins forming as well as little watermelons. My sweet corn is 3 feet tall. I made a bean teepee, but I don't think "Green Romano" beans climb ... ooops! One tomato has gone from green to red (lots are still green). All in all, I am happy. I did not realize how much the pumpkin and the watermelon plants would run. They are romping through the annual flowers I sowed, such as zinnias and marigolds (oh well, survival of the fittest). This area gets full sun from about 8am until at least 4pm. Here are pictures from a week ago. Who needs a front lawn? Plant a farm instead!
{{gwi:71703}}
{{gwi:71704}}
{{gwi:71705}}

Comments (18)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I hope the lawn police don't come after you.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I think everybody should do this! Who needs grass? ;-)

Seriously, I know there isn't too much front lawn space in the most food-insecure areas, but imagine if city dwellers could grow some of their own food...

• tdscpa
    10 years ago

Looks very "rustic".

I think I'm glad that none of my neighbors are that much "into gardening".

• afishlady
    10 years ago

Plants look healthy. Enjoy the harvest!

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

Looks good! Hopefully it will inspire others to get rid of their lawns and grow food too :)

• GreenSerenity
    10 years ago

This looks beautiful, very inspiring!! I wish I could do this. I wonder how the world would be if every developed lawn area was a veggie garden.

• angiemomma4
    10 years ago

Good for you! Looks wonderful.
    Angie

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

I love front yard gardens.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

I agree, good for you! I think its great that you've done this and you'll really be healthier for it. Wish more would do it.

• pennypond USDA 10 Sunset 21 CA
    10 years ago

Looks great!
    What are the two small cones in front of the zucchini?

• christripp
    10 years ago

Did just this 3 years ago when I ran out of space in the back, it's wonderful, good for you. I was inspired by a number of Urban Farm video's. Grass is fairly useless, it is expensive to maintain, fussy to say the LEAST and more work then any veg or herb garden is, once established. This year I have pared the front down to mostly herbs and only leeks as the veg, though random potato plants have sprouted up, where I must have missed harvesting a potato or 10, last year. You just can't get RID of those sneaky potatoes, still have them popping up in another area of the yard where I had them growing 3 years ago!!!
    And yes, the neighbours think I'm nuts but I amuse them and they all like the invitation to snip some herbs if they wish:)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You can design it in such a fashion that it is also very beautiful by incorporating, for example, a flowers/herbs garden, walkways , raised beds (instead of buckets), Have some borders for the beds, .... It can be made to be a show place.

• drippy
    10 years ago

Lawn is an ugly groundcover. Applause to you!

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

Well.. maybe if you were worried about growing just grass, it would be expensive, but for us who can live with ajuga, white clover, achillie and assorted plants mixed in with grass, with a average rainfall of 1 " of rain a week, it isnt that much work, just to cut it usually. I love gardens as well, and dont mind making smaller grass areas, but its nice for kids to play in a strech of grass is a good place as well.

• RogueKnits
    10 years ago

Love it! I have a front yard garden as well, but it's not nearly as extensive. Just two raised beds in the front. It's the only place on my property that gets enough sun to grow fruiting veggies (carrots and lettuce seem to do ok in the sunniest spot in the backyard). I haven't yet convinced my husband to rip up all the grass in the front yard and go all-veggie.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

I have removed, well actually smothered, all of my front yard grass. It's taken a few years to get it done though it's still a work in progress. Lots of herbs, some flowers, some succulents and a mix of veges.

{{gwi:71706}}

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

That looks very pretty.

• julia42
    10 years ago

That is very pretty. The flowers really add a lot. I think if I was doing it, I'd make sure I had a couple of square feet blooming most of the year (I'm in Texas, so year round is realistic...). It makes it look a lot more designed I think.

On a side note, I sure wish I could get my chives to bloom like that. I think I've had one flower from them in the past 3 years...

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022