Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tobemeghan

When should I plant fall cabbage

tobemeghan
9 years ago

I put in about 100+ cabbage plants but then had a family tragedy and didn't get them covered so they got eaten to nothing by cabbage moths. They are so far gone that I am going to have to pull them. I am in SC Kansas when is it to late to plant for fall?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Not a matter of too late so much as too early, as in now is too early. In general, planting is mid-July to mid August. But exactly when has lots of variables to consider.

What is the DTM of the variety you are using? When is your first frost date? Will you be planting transplants again or direct seeding as they have very different planting times.

Dave

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Just wanted to give my sympathies for your family tragedy.

• planatus
    9 years ago

I'm in 6b with a first frost date around Oct 10-15. My best seed-starting date for fall cabbage and broccoli is July 10, using fast-maturing varieties. I grow the seedlings on a patio table with an umbrella where they get full morning sun and afternoon shade. They need grasshopper protection from day one in the garden from tulle or feather weight row covers, but the results are worth it.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

planatus, I'm in the same boat as you. May I ask all your fall planting dates? I want to plant Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Peas, and maybe Cabbage, Chard, Spinach and Lettuce. My Spring beets are producing poorly and I don't think I want another go at them this year. July 10th sounds a little early no, won't Broc survive a few mild frosts too? We had a wild Spring as always with major temp swings and I started late, and my Spring harvest wasn't great.

And sympathies to tobemeghan for the family tragedy.

• planatus
    9 years ago

My fall planting dates based on 6 years of records are....
    Brussels sprouts - June 5
    Cabbage and broccoli - July 1-10
    Kohlrabi, rutabaga, bulb fennel, carrots - July 10-20
    Chard, collards and kale - July 20-30
    Lettuce, mustards, turnips, spinach - Aug 1-30

Light frosts improve the flavor and texture of most of these crops, so these dates lead to harvesting from late Sept to early November. In early November hard freezes, cold winds and crazed deer close down the party except for Brussels sprouts, which I keep covered with row cover and keep harvesting into early December.

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

Planatus... just wondering what variety of cabbage and broccoli you plant?
    thanks,
    Tom

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

And Brussels Sprouts? I have seeds for a supposed 60 day variety.

Thanks!

• SunshineZone7
    9 years ago

Planatus......which of those do you direct sow and which do you start inside?

• planatus
    9 years ago

It takes me more than a year, usually two, to use up a packet of broccoli or cabbage seeds, so I can only try so many updated varieties. Gypsy broccoli is fast and makes big heads. I think I like it better than Diplomat, the packet I'm working through now, which is also the variety many local organic growers are using. I've done well with small, fast cabbages like Pixie, Gonzales, Caraflex (pointed) and Alcosa (savoy).

No favorites on B sprouts. The top hybrids haven't been very impressive, so I'm trying OP Catskill this year and planning to fertilize the heck out of it. B sprouts grow into huge 3-foot plants, and I don't see how they can do that in 60 days. When days are getting shorter in fall, you should add 21 days to the estimated maturity time for veg varieties except leafy greens anyway.

Sunshine, I direct seed the rutabagas, carrots and leafy greens, and start all the others in containers. To get the seeds up in hot summer soil, I often cover straight rows with boards held aloft with bricks. With broadcast beds I cover wire hoops with an old sheet, secured with clothespins, to gentle down the sun. In dry years I've looped soaker hoses into squiggles and circles and planted direct-seeded crops in the drip line.