Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too early in the season to post garden pics?

Posted by loribee2 CA 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 15:39

I love, love, love peeking at people's veggie gardens. I am the neat/tidy type, which seriously comes from a desire to do as little work as possible. With drip irrigation going to each bed, loads of compost worked into the soil and heavy mulch on top, I don't have to do a whole lot after planting.

I like my garden, but I also admire folks who till right into the ground, have the luxury of moving stuff around every year and doing something different.

Anyone care to share what they've got going so far this year?

Here's a few picks from today:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too early in the season to post garden pics?

Nasturtiums starting to take over like a 50's B-Horror movie.

o

And lastly, a tomato sighting. This is Early Girl, a new variety to my garden this year.

o

Nice loribee! Yep...You're a neat freak --lol. Are you a Virgo by any chance?

I'm not a tomato snob so I have no problem with Early Girls. Decided to go with Romas and a semi-determinate this year though(Celebrity) because the Tomato Suck Bug really nails my indeterminates every year and brings my season to a crawl sometimes when I still have plenty of season left. You'll like Early Girls -- great producers, good flavor, and a good all-purpose tomato.

Kevin

o

LOL Thanks Kevin. I am a Taurus, but I was raised by a Virgo, so I know EXACTLY why you suspected it, LOL

I think I planted an Early Girl decades ago when I was buying plants from the garden stores. When I switched to seed, I was planting Moskvich as my short-season variety. Thanks to the quality of Johnny's seeds, that one package lasted me years. I finally just got tired of them and wanted to try something different. Thanks for the insights.

I didn't know there was such a thing as semi-determinate. I have not had to deal with suck bugs....so far....knock on wood.

o

It's never too early...the photo posting of gardens-in-growth is one of my favorite parts of GW.

Being in NC, I love the photos from the South-West because that area gets a head start on warm-weather gardening. There's usually some rather impressive growth/harvest pictures that the SW people post while my garden is lingering month(s) behind.

o

Here are a few to add:

photo IMG_2914_zps5d73fb9f.jpg

photo IMG_2866_zps834da1db.jpg

photo IMG_2941_zps383e4170.jpg

photo IMG_2940_zps9d727d41.jpg

photo IMG_2900_zps7d3f2847.jpg

photo IMG_2897_zpsa8c03c52.jpg

photo IMG_2898_zps0b626fbf.jpg

photo IMG_2894_zps638e4368.jpg

photo IMG_2920_zps35b18fa1.jpg

photo IMG_2926_zps5f453da1.jpg

Now, time for a nap in the garden.....

Raybo

o

Raybo, so impressed with your container gardens. I tried to grow tomatoes in a wine barrel, and they were a complete fail. I probably didn't have a good soil mix, and didn't fertilize enough.

Am I remembering correctly that you're in the East Bay? If so, I'm wondering how you've got produce so early! I'm in Sonoma County and only planted everything out about 4 weeks ago.

(And how did you post more than one picture in your comment? I tried using the old method of copying the HTML from Flickr and it gave me a Fail).

o

loribee,

I am in the South Bay (Los Gatos) area.

I use Photobucket to post the HTML pix.

Raybo

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 20:17

Your gardens are so neat and tidy! I thought mine was pretty organized but holy cow! Then again, anything is more organized than mine was last year I had to bring a machete with me in case we had boa constrictors and stuff in that jungle, crikey!

Here is the new addition just put in this morning. Some extra, smaller sections as I have outgrown the main garden. So far just beans planted in those.
 photo IMG_8272_zpsa3935416.jpg

The potted tomatoes. They are still a little frumpy after the hail storms.
 photo IMG_8271_zps606560bd.jpg

Cucumbers-peppers-beans-lettuce and waaaay back in the corner you can sort of see mustard and beets. Some onions thrown in all the other beds.
 photo IMG_8267_zpse5f871c7.jpg

Potatoes-carrots/radish/onions (x2)
 photo IMG_8266_zpsef401f20.jpg

And the squash hill.
 photo IMG_8270_zps01414511.jpg

There's more up at the "big" property but, I wasn't up there today.

All the sticks, teepees, milk jugs, tomato cages and cloth is for covering during our all too frequent hail storms (praying that they are done for the season).

o

Love it! Boy you all are willing to take on way more than me. I even left one bed empty this year, "because of the drought", haha. Really, I was just lazy.

It looks like your garden is in the front yard. Do you have problems with neighbors? I'd worry about thievery.

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 22:38

90% of the time I'm out there I'm just putzing looking for stuff to do. That garden has only like 10 or 11 small beds in it. It's really too small to grow anything substantial.

I've known all my neighbors for the better part of 20 years now lol. Plus, they don't have to steal, I give them anything they want. The only thievery I have to worry about comes from things with 4 or 6 legs. And dogs, that's what the fence is for, cuz the neighbors beast gets out and tears everything up.

We live in an unincorporated, non-HOA neighborhood. No one complains (quite the opposite really), but even if they did there's not a thing they can do. (They are more worried about the house next door that has been abandoned for almost 15 years anyways).

o

How very cool! We have a neighbor a couple blocks over who just put in a front yard veggie garden. He appears to be a master carpenter because the fence and beds were done beautifully. Too bad he doesn't know a thing about gardening. LOL Has already killed a few things, and I don't have the heart to tell him that the dozen corn stalks he's got going in a 2' X 2' square probably isn't going to work.

I imagine it's a nice way to get to know your neighbors, though. If my garden were out front, it would definitely become the conversation spot in the court.

o

Here's my garden before it gets jungle like. Lol

o

Just a shot down a row of my tomatoes, in a rain gutter grow system.
I am a container and raised bed kind of guy if you cant tell.

Rick

o

It’s so fascinating to see vegetable gardens that others are growing. They’re all so different.

Loribee, I love your Nasturtiums, what variety are they? Mine planted from seed are barely sprouted. And what is it that is mulching the paths around your beds?

That container garden Rnewste is growing, quite neat and evidently productive. Corn in containers, I don’t think I’ve seen that before. And containers on a high deck, they must get great sunshine and I’ll bet there’s quite a veiw, too. That’s a cute fenced in vegetable garden too. And in zone 5, you’ve already got a head start on me with squash and I’m in a warmer zone. I also like the square beds in AlliDeSpain’s garden. I just changed mine from square to longer for more growing room, but I had squares for years. Ricman’s tomatoes look really healthy and lush.

Looking forward to seeing more photos of gardens.

Our garden has been delayed this year by weather and having to construct new beds, but we did manage to get brassicas and lettuces in although late. No peas on the trellis though. Maybe in the fall. Trellis is now planted with bean and cucumber seeds waiting to sprout. Still have two more beds to plant. Tomatoes and peppers aren't in yet. The tomato bed is to the right out of the photo.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 8:36

o

Great photos everyone.

o

Here are my little raised beds. Novice gardener learning from here and as I go along..

o

So fun to see what everyone here is working on. What beautiful spaces. I'm impressed by all the container gardens, and how well everyone's plants are growing in them. I can't get anything in a pot to grow well. I think they need more care than I'm willing to give them.

prairiemoon2: I think these nasturtiums are the "day" half of a variety called "night and day" from Johnny's seeds. I've bought several packs of different varieties, and definitely, some do better than others. As for the area around my beds, it's a rock called Sonoma Fines. Very small chipped rock that compacts almost as good as decomposed granite but a fraction of the cost. This area was once lawn. We built the beds over it, and I rocked the surround primarily because I didn't want the constant maintenance of having to trim grass around the beds. Like I said, what looks like tidy is really based on lazy, haha.

o

• Posted by slowjane Los Angeles USDA 10- (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 15:39

love seeing everyone's gardens! someday maybe mine will look so tidy!!

my two raised beds - my first year veggie gardening though i grew up with a very green thumbed mama so there is some dim memory-knowledge in there somewhere...

4 tomatoes, 16 pole beans, 4 cucumbers, 1 eggplant, 3 peppers, 1 zucchini, 4 basil, 2 swiss chard, 3 okra, 5 red onions, 2 marigolds and various amounts of mesclun greens...those spent blooms in front are yarrow. i'm using sfg method(ish) though i went with native soil and amended...

i just planted the empty front squares of the righthand bed with yellow crookneck squash seed yesterday, after several other things didn't take...i'm finding direct sowing much more difficult in summer than winter, of course.

more pictures are on my lil' blog below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Larga Garden Blog

o

Love all the beautiful and neatly organized gardens. Hope I learn a lesson or 2 watching these.

Here is my garden. I am a total newbie. Wanted to post a picture of my garden, but couldn't figure out how. Anyways, there are such beautiful ones here, you won't miss mine.

o

Here's part of my front yard garden. Nothing's growing too well yet, but these are my yard long beans. (This was all grass until this past January)

o

Another view of the front yard. There's a tomato, lettuce, celery root, Belgian endive, leeks, & carrots in the bed. Around it I have corn, beans, winter squash & zucchini (probably can't see everything)

o

In the side yard, sugar snaps, garlic, turnips, and lettuce are crammed in the raised bed. Tomatillos are planted at the end of the bed.

o

Backyard: from front to back kale, collards, beets, pole beans. Behind that is the pepper patio (all of my potted pepper--30 at last count). Way in the back are the tomatoes. Chickens are so frustrated right now with all of the wildlife netting I have in place.

o

Last one, I promise! Same area only with the tomatoes in the forefront.

o

Sherm, your garlic is still so green! I have harvested half of mine already and the other half will follow in about a week (different varieties).

o

Aili, that's so weird! I only have a few scapes, and I don't expect to be digging it before mid July. Our climates must be very different. When did you plant? Mine were planted around Halloween.

o

Sherm, I planted mid October. Last year my garlic was ready around this time as well. I cut scapes about three weeks ago after they made their first curl.

o

Love the gardens! So fun to see the variety from small to vast, beginner to expert. I'm envious of those stone beds. I wanted to edge mine in stone, but my garden is on a grade and getting them level was going to be too much work for me at the time. I think they're so pretty, though.

o

Loribee, I love your setup. Very neat & tidy. When we moved in to our house (16 years ago), it was mostly all grass, and a small area was decaying wood raised beds surrounded by those awful massive bark nuggets. We decided that we wanted raised beds & we only wanted to do it once. So no wood; at least not here with our weather! Thank you to my enabling, handy hubby who helps me with the big stuff!

o

Posting a few of my gardens, live in Central Ma so jealous of everyone's garden on the west coast. Wow you must get a lot of produce! I am an unground gardener, 4th season and still learning. First pick is my herb garden, then my other two. My fourth was just planted and not much to view yet.

o

Tomatoes eggplant and beans on a hill this is a new area for me this year hoping it works

o

Beautiful LindaLu! I love how you've incorporated your edible plants into the landscape. Very nice!

o

Here's mine taken yesterday. I have a long way to go!

o

here are pics of mine... either started by making seed tape, wintersown, or ordered on-line (onions.

o

and another

o

one more.

o

Wow, look at all that space! Here in California, you need to own a movie studio to have a yard that big, LOL (Or bought your property prior to 1980 haha) VERY nice!

Nugrdnnut: I really like your hoops. I should seriously consider something like that to cover my beds for birds. It looks so much easier than the makeshift sticks I put up every year. Do you cover yours for deer or birds?

o

thai basil survived the winter

o

O, sure ! Go ahead ! Rub it in !
Never is too early or too late to irritate. hehe

o

loribee2,
The hoops have several uses... deer block (which works well- no deer damage x 2 years), plastic or agribon cover early in the season for frost prevention... which can also help in the hardening off process, protect from severe winds and/or hail damage.

Happy gardening!

o

knlim000, that is the largest basil plant I've ever seen!

seysonn, LOL Sorry!

Thanks nugrdnnut!

o

So I live near downtown Atlanta in an area known as Grant Park. I have very limited space, so I do square foot gardening. I have a three sisters section on the far left. My tomatoes are BushSteak, 2 Big Rainbows, and some cherry variety.

o

njitgrad, good to see your mulched beds doing so well.

o

Loving everyone's photos!

o

So here is a close up of my cherry tomatoes going through fruit set, you can see my purple wonder strawberries in the back. they will be purple a couple days:

here is my "shade box", this one only gets about 4 hours of direct sun, but it gets a good deal of reflective sun from being between the two houses. These veggies grow a lot slower, but still pull of a crop. I must have had one too many to drink when I planted it this year, because the squash in the back was supposed to be a cantaloupe! I guess I mixed up the seeds! This one is watered by my A/C condensation water which is filtered through a carbon block.

And here is my lonely broccoli head, I hope she gets a little bigger!

This post was edited by PlanterJeff on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 12:22

o

And my three sisters. the squash was started way later because the neighbors cat dug up the first one. So I am growing a watermelon up the trellis and the squash in front/around the corn.

o

Very nice!! I never thought about the idea of a "shade garden".

o

We finally finished planting, right before an inch and a half of rain yesterday that drizzled down over nine hours. Every drop soaked in. Now it's time to start weeding and finish the mulching.

o

"Very nice!! I never thought about the idea of a "shade garden"."

Thanks, it was more out of necessity. I had no other space, so i went for it. It only really produces carrots, beans, and greens. I tried putting a pepper plant there in the front, but it is super leggy, so I will probably move it to one of the other spots shortly. I am waiting to see if the squash will make it. It appears to be doing ok even with only 4 hours of sun.

o

Pictures of my garden from California

Tomatoes
Tomatoes photo IMG_20140605_125811.jpg

Watermelon
Watermelon photo IMG_20140605_125747.jpg

Cantaloupe
Cantaloupe photo IMG_20140605_125737.jpg

Peppers
Peppers photo IMG_20140605_125729.jpg

Cucumbers
Cucumber photo IMG_20140605_125650.jpg

Zucchini & Yellow Squash
Zucchini&Squash photo IMG_20140605_125634.jpg

This post was edited by hidesertCA on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 16:55

o

Gorgeous plants and spaces, folks!

o

Nice thread....

This pic is almost 6 weeks old, don't have an updated picture yet, changed these to summer vegetables, although I still have kale/lettuce mixed in....

o

Soooo pretty! Is that pea gravel surrounding your beds? It looks pristine!

o

I love the creative container gardening, particularly from the western US and CA where land and water can be scarce. I am fortunate to have a 1 ac yard. This is my second season at this house, and I was able to get an earlier start this year since my wife and I were blessed with a new daughter late last April. We had a late frost on 4/16/14 that wiped out some beans that I planted too early, but the garden is progressing well in spite of the dry weather. I have slicing tomatoes, eggplant, corn, okra, squash and muskmelons in the near side of the photo, with my lettuce patch and other cool season veggies to the far right inside a short fence to keep the bunnies at bay. There is some wire and cord strung around to keep the deer away-so far it's working.

o

Oh, that is a beautiful piece of land you have there, ThisOldDad. Yes, being from California, I admire all that space. BIG congratulations on the new baby!

o

"Soooo pretty! Is that pea gravel surrounding your beds? It looks pristine!"

It's similar is size to pea gravel but some other typical rock you can get around here. I like the multi-color rock because it's harder to see when leaves and things fall into it.

Here is a video of it after I made it this year....

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Yard

o

Wow, that is a gorgeous landscaping job. Wish you were my neighbor ;-)

o

You know if there were more people who understood the joy of harvesting your own food, the world would be a more heathy plac2e. Anyone else here who drives down the road shaking their head when you see a lawn where a perfectly good garden should be?

o

PlanterJeff,
I meant to say earlier that your broccoli looks ready to harvest to me. mmm, I love home grown broccoli.

o

Loribee, where do you get your Sonoma Fines???? Nancy

o

Raybo, I love how you created the cages so perfectly. How did you make the wire attach so perfectly to the cut out lids? You should do a video of how that's done and post a link to it for us :)

I enjoyed looking at all the veggie gardens and their progression. Here in Florida, just too hot for me to do anything like this until late fall returns. Then we plan on a small raised bed garden.

o

Sorry Nancy, didn't see your question until today. I got my Sonoma Fines at Wheeler Zamaroni on Petaluma HIll Road. Granted, that was 6 years ago. I know rock comes and goes. I get everything from them. Their "veggie mix" soil is what I use to fill my beds.

o

I like WZ! Nancy

o

this is my favorite tree

o

LOL knlim000, that is a great tree!

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 1:28

A few pics of my garden beds

Front yard pics
 photo DSCN0377_zps3cf7308b.jpg

photo DSCN0376_zpsba1d5414.jpg
 photo DSCN0375_zps036437d2.jpg

Some form the backyard

photo DSCN0372_zps2a36ca8c.jpg

Hugelkultur bed

photo DSCN0368_zps63a7411a.jpg

o

How very pretty! I love how you incorporate the vegetables into your overall landscape.

o

Some pics of my 2014 set up.

o

I love the way you spaced your Lettuce and Pac Choi like that.

o

Oh what a happy looking garden! Love those metal drums for your container garden. They've got such charm, IMO.

o

Thanks!

Stuffradio, the Pac Choi is actually Fordhook Giant Chard. :)

I love the galvanized tubs as well loribee! IMO they cant be beat for the price. They should last a long, long, time.

Hopefully my lettuce doesn't bolt in the heat we are expecting this week! I have misters set up to try to keep them cool!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here