Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Is it too early in the season to post garden pics?

loribee2
9 years ago

I love, love, love peeking at people's veggie gardens. I am the neat/tidy type, which seriously comes from a desire to do as little work as possible. With drip irrigation going to each bed, loads of compost worked into the soil and heavy mulch on top, I don't have to do a whole lot after planting.

I like my garden, but I also admire folks who till right into the ground, have the luxury of moving stuff around every year and doing something different.

Anyone care to share what they've got going so far this year?

Here's a few picks from today:

Comments (72)

• shermthewerm
    9 years ago

In the side yard, sugar snaps, garlic, turnips, and lettuce are crammed in the raised bed. Tomatillos are planted at the end of the bed.

• shermthewerm
    9 years ago

Backyard: from front to back kale, collards, beets, pole beans. Behind that is the pepper patio (all of my potted pepper--30 at last count). Way in the back are the tomatoes. Chickens are so frustrated right now with all of the wildlife netting I have in place.

• shermthewerm
    9 years ago

Last one, I promise! Same area only with the tomatoes in the forefront.

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

Sherm, your garlic is still so green! I have harvested half of mine already and the other half will follow in about a week (different varieties).

• shermthewerm
    9 years ago

Aili, that's so weird! I only have a few scapes, and I don't expect to be digging it before mid July. Our climates must be very different. When did you plant? Mine were planted around Halloween.

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

Sherm, I planted mid October. Last year my garlic was ready around this time as well. I cut scapes about three weeks ago after they made their first curl.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the gardens! So fun to see the variety from small to vast, beginner to expert. I'm envious of those stone beds. I wanted to edge mine in stone, but my garden is on a grade and getting them level was going to be too much work for me at the time. I think they're so pretty, though.

• shermthewerm
    9 years ago

Loribee, I love your setup. Very neat & tidy. When we moved in to our house (16 years ago), it was mostly all grass, and a small area was decaying wood raised beds surrounded by those awful massive bark nuggets. We decided that we wanted raised beds & we only wanted to do it once. So no wood; at least not here with our weather! Thank you to my enabling, handy hubby who helps me with the big stuff!

• lindalu2222
    9 years ago

Posting a few of my gardens, live in Central Ma so jealous of everyone's garden on the west coast. Wow you must get a lot of produce! I am an unground gardener, 4th season and still learning. First pick is my herb garden, then my other two. My fourth was just planted and not much to view yet.

• lindalu2222
    9 years ago

Tomatoes eggplant and beans on a hill this is a new area for me this year hoping it works

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful LindaLu! I love how you've incorporated your edible plants into the landscape. Very nice!

• njitgrad
    9 years ago

Here's mine taken yesterday. I have a long way to go!

{{gwi:49827}}

{{gwi:49828}}

{{gwi:49829}}

{{gwi:49830}}

{{gwi:49831}}

{{gwi:49832}}

{{gwi:49833}}

{{gwi:49834}}

{{gwi:49835}}

{{gwi:49836}}

{{gwi:49837}}

{{gwi:49839}}

{{gwi:49840}}

{{gwi:49841}}

{{gwi:49842}}

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

here are pics of mine... either started by making seed tape, wintersown, or ordered on-line (onions.

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

and another

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

one more.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, look at all that space! Here in California, you need to own a movie studio to have a yard that big, LOL (Or bought your property prior to 1980 haha) VERY nice!

Nugrdnnut: I really like your hoops. I should seriously consider something like that to cover my beds for birds. It looks so much easier than the makeshift sticks I put up every year. Do you cover yours for deer or birds?

• knlim000
    9 years ago

thai basil survived the winter

• seysonn
    9 years ago

O, sure ! Go ahead ! Rub it in !
    Never is too early or too late to irritate. hehe

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

loribee2,
    The hoops have several uses... deer block (which works well- no deer damage x 2 years), plastic or agribon cover early in the season for frost prevention... which can also help in the hardening off process, protect from severe winds and/or hail damage.

Happy gardening!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

knlim000, that is the largest basil plant I've ever seen!

seysonn, LOL Sorry!

Thanks nugrdnnut!

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

So I live near downtown Atlanta in an area known as Grant Park. I have very limited space, so I do square foot gardening. I have a three sisters section on the far left. My tomatoes are BushSteak, 2 Big Rainbows, and some cherry variety.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

njitgrad, good to see your mulched beds doing so well.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Loving everyone's photos!

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

So here is a close up of my cherry tomatoes going through fruit set, you can see my purple wonder strawberries in the back. they will be purple a couple days:
    {{gwi:71912}}

here is my "shade box", this one only gets about 4 hours of direct sun, but it gets a good deal of reflective sun from being between the two houses. These veggies grow a lot slower, but still pull of a crop. I must have had one too many to drink when I planted it this year, because the squash in the back was supposed to be a cantaloupe! I guess I mixed up the seeds! This one is watered by my A/C condensation water which is filtered through a carbon block.
    {{gwi:71914}}

And here is my lonely broccoli head, I hope she gets a little bigger!
    {{gwi:71916}}

This post was edited by PlanterJeff on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 12:22

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

And my three sisters. the squash was started way later because the neighbors cat dug up the first one. So I am growing a watermelon up the trellis and the squash in front/around the corn.
    {{gwi:71918}}

{{gwi:71919}}

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice!! I never thought about the idea of a "shade garden".

• terry_neoh
    9 years ago

We finally finished planting, right before an inch and a half of rain yesterday that drizzled down over nine hours. Every drop soaked in. Now it's time to start weeding and finish the mulching.

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

"Very nice!! I never thought about the idea of a "shade garden"."

Thanks, it was more out of necessity. I had no other space, so i went for it. It only really produces carrots, beans, and greens. I tried putting a pepper plant there in the front, but it is super leggy, so I will probably move it to one of the other spots shortly. I am waiting to see if the squash will make it. It appears to be doing ok even with only 4 hours of sun.

• hidesertca
    9 years ago

Pictures of my garden from California

Tomatoes

Watermelon

Cantaloupe

Peppers

Cucumbers

Zucchini & Yellow Squash

This post was edited by hidesertCA on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 16:55

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gorgeous plants and spaces, folks!

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Nice thread....

This pic is almost 6 weeks old, don't have an updated picture yet, changed these to summer vegetables, although I still have kale/lettuce mixed in....

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Soooo pretty! Is that pea gravel surrounding your beds? It looks pristine!

• ThisOldDad
    9 years ago

I love the creative container gardening, particularly from the western US and CA where land and water can be scarce. I am fortunate to have a 1 ac yard. This is my second season at this house, and I was able to get an earlier start this year since my wife and I were blessed with a new daughter late last April. We had a late frost on 4/16/14 that wiped out some beans that I planted too early, but the garden is progressing well in spite of the dry weather. I have slicing tomatoes, eggplant, corn, okra, squash and muskmelons in the near side of the photo, with my lettuce patch and other cool season veggies to the far right inside a short fence to keep the bunnies at bay. There is some wire and cord strung around to keep the deer away-so far it's working.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, that is a beautiful piece of land you have there, ThisOldDad. Yes, being from California, I admire all that space. BIG congratulations on the new baby!

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

"Soooo pretty! Is that pea gravel surrounding your beds? It looks pristine!"

It's similar is size to pea gravel but some other typical rock you can get around here. I like the multi-color rock because it's harder to see when leaves and things fall into it.

Here is a video of it after I made it this year....

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Yard

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, that is a gorgeous landscaping job. Wish you were my neighbor ;-)

• lindalu2222
    9 years ago

You know if there were more people who understood the joy of harvesting your own food, the world would be a more heathy plac2e. Anyone else here who drives down the road shaking their head when you see a lawn where a perfectly good garden should be?

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

PlanterJeff,
    I meant to say earlier that your broccoli looks ready to harvest to me. mmm, I love home grown broccoli.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Loribee, where do you get your Sonoma Fines???? Nancy

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

Raybo, I love how you created the cages so perfectly. How did you make the wire attach so perfectly to the cut out lids? You should do a video of how that's done and post a link to it for us :)

I enjoyed looking at all the veggie gardens and their progression. Here in Florida, just too hot for me to do anything like this until late fall returns. Then we plan on a small raised bed garden.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Nancy, didn't see your question until today. I got my Sonoma Fines at Wheeler Zamaroni on Petaluma HIll Road. Granted, that was 6 years ago. I know rock comes and goes. I get everything from them. Their "veggie mix" soil is what I use to fill my beds.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

I like WZ! Nancy

• knlim000
    9 years ago

this is my favorite tree

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL knlim000, that is a great tree!

• gjcore
    9 years ago

A few pics of my garden beds

Front yard pics
    {{gwi:71930}}

{{gwi:71932}}
    {{gwi:71934}}

Some form the backyard

{{gwi:71936}}

Hugelkultur bed

{{gwi:71938}}

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How very pretty! I love how you incorporate the vegetables into your overall landscape.

• howelbama
    9 years ago

Some pics of my 2014 set up.
    {{gwi:71940}}

{{gwi:71942}}

{{gwi:71943}}

{{gwi:71945}}

{{gwi:71947}}

{{gwi:71949}}

• stuffradio
    9 years ago

I love the way you spaced your Lettuce and Pac Choi like that.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh what a happy looking garden! Love those metal drums for your container garden. They've got such charm, IMO.

• howelbama
    9 years ago

Thanks!

Stuffradio, the Pac Choi is actually Fordhook Giant Chard. :)

I love the galvanized tubs as well loribee! IMO they cant be beat for the price. They should last a long, long, time.

Hopefully my lettuce doesn't bolt in the heat we are expecting this week! I have misters set up to try to keep them cool!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus