Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkessler0709

Cucumber pruning

nkessler0709
13 years ago

Have a couple questions :)

Details about my cucumber plant:

-Bought 'bonnie' brand, Burpee Hybrid as a seedling about 3 wks ago and transferred

next day.

- In 5gal bucket

-Miracle grow 6mo feed soil, mixed with earthgrow (wal-mart) topsoil.

I have searched and searched for a way that I understand, being a first year grower, and have gotten the most help out of pictures or videos, but am thinking an explanation related to my own plant would help too. Unfortunately I have found very little on cucumbers so far. First, I want to know if I should be pruning my cuc (view here - http://s777.photobucket.com/albums/yy54/nkessler2/Cucumber)at that size, and how exactly it is done. I have read it needs 7 leaves up the main vine before any flowers are allowed to grow. There are sooo many flower buds already at every node, so seven leaves up seem like extremes. If I picked the buds, I would literally be losing around 20 cucumbers. Since it is producing so many buds, should I just allow them to grow? I canÂt imagine I could get any better of a yield by picking them off!

I have a close up shot of the first flower (all the way down toward the roots) on the site above. It looks to be maleÂshould I get rid of the ones this low on the plant? Any also, should I be getting rid of the male flowers period, since it is outdoors?

I am also confused about the suckers. I see which growth to pick very clearly on the tomato plants, but not as sure on the cucs. Seems like they arenÂt really suckers, but just single leaves that are growing off the main vine. Every growth that I would consider to be a sucker, has around 3 blooms on the inside of the leaf, so Im hesitant to remove. Judging by my pics, Which growth should I be removing, if any at all?

Also shown on my above site is my second cuc plant, labeled cucumber2. This plant was purchased the same time, and size, as my larger one was, and also planted in the same conditions. It is quite a bit smaller! Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: my cucumbers

Comments (4)