Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

I want to get my garden on this weekend.

denninmi
11 years ago

Anyone else care to join in the fun. I hope to get things in the ground this weekend, weather permitting. May rain, but hopefully not all day each day, although we need rain.

Last weekend, I spent a lot of time prepping the garden so I could plant, and then Sun and Monday it was just too hot for me or transplants.

This weekend, should be good to go!

Yeah! :-)

Comments (14)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

I will be doing more of the same here. A local fruit farm is selling trees, vines, etc, to benefit our church youth group. They specialize in fruits that do well with the combination of our soil and weather patterns so I hope to get some grapes and blackberries now. I am looking forward to jujubes, beach plums, and sea berry in the future.

This week I hope to clear and amend the area where I hope to plant sweet corn and get a few more plants in. My biggest limiting factor will be the smoke from wildfires. If it is too intense, I may find myself back inside like I am now. Have fun!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    11 years ago

denninmi, I have already had my fun planting. Are your gardens usually this late?
    I have 5 plantings of sweet corn up, watermelons starting to bloom, etc.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I'm in between denninmi and wayne. In the hoe-hoe-hoe season, keeping down the weeds while the new stuff grows.

• denninmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wayne, I usually try to get my frost-sensitive crops in the ground sometime after Memorial Day and before the 10th of June. We are prone to surprise late frosts in early June. I started things in the greenhouse back in April.
    {{gwi:72021}}

• denninmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view, pardon the mess. This was actually a couple of years ago (the photo above was taken tonight).

{{gwi:15520}}

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Nice setup! I actually finished planting out everything last weekend, but of course it is time to start pulling out things down here. Looks like we a re getting a breather from the heat for a few days, fingers crossed, but time to remove the peas, lettuce is almost done, turnips have all been pulled and eaten, etc. which is going to open up space for more crops...

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

You got a lot going on, Dennis.

I think I will go sow some cover legumes in the rain - I'm trying cowpeas and mung beans between potato rows.

• camp10
    11 years ago

Nice setup that you have there. I had started some tomatoes on my porch, but I forgot to bring them in during last weeks storm. So, I had to replace many of them.

I started last night with the tomatos and peppers. Onions, lettuce and carrots have been in for a while. Asparagus is done for the year.

{{gwi:72022}}

• stuffradio
    11 years ago

I like the setups that denninmi and camp10 have. I have cabbage, Cauliflower and a couple other vegetables I have started for a while that I want to get in the ground today.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I love the look of camp's soil. So nice and loose.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Looks as sandy as mine, with high OM like mine also.

• camp10
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm lucky to have good soil. It was an old dairy farm. The farmer retired 20 years ago and planted grass over the stock pens. I knew where I wanted the garden...where the grass looked the best!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ideally, I aim to get everything in by June 1st. In recent years, between work & weather, it has been far from ideal. Only got half the garden planted in 2010, and nothing planted until the July 4th weekend last year!

Fair weather (as in dry) and a good work schedule have allowed me to get an early this year. As of today, everything is in except some of the cucurbits, pole limas, and yardlongs. Those were all started as transplants, and still need a few more days to leaf out.

• rayinpenn
    11 years ago

Sir
    That is the way a greenhouse should look. All business! no fancy watering cans - just plants, loads of plants!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm