Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwpunt2

Tatuma squash

gwpunt2
9 years ago

Is the Tatuma squash really resistant to squash vine borer in the Atlanta area?

Comments (10)

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

I doubt it. It is C.pepo which is highly suceptible to SVB

• gwpunt2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So much for misinformation on the web. Heard Cucuzza 'squash' is resistant too, is it a decent substitute for summer squash?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Cucuzza is resistant. It is actually a variety of bottle gourd. Popular the Mediteranean, India, southeast Asia. It is a substitute, you will have to decide if it decent,

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucuzza

• gwpunt2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm, not hearing a lot of enthusiasm for cucuzza flavor! Or maybe its growthy habit?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Trombocino is a heavy vining C. moschata ( butternut type) that is very popular for use as a summer squash. It is SVB resistant but takes up a lot of space. Needs to be trellised.

• Ali Eggenburg Alldredge
    9 years ago

I am trying the Tatuma this year too. We get both squash bugs and SVB here. We will see how they do.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

Tatume has resisted borers for me - I grow it and Trombocino because Tatume produces quicker. I know it is a pepo, but the vines seem to be less hollow.

In 2 seasons growing it, it hasn't had a problem with borers. I know they were around because they made attempts on the life of my spaghetti squashes and melons.

~emmers

This post was edited by emmers_m on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 9:05

• gwpunt2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope so. The seed packet claimed that Tatuma is 'practically immune' to SVB. Time will tell, am about to harvest the first fruit, it had better taste good :-) Trombocino looks WAY too big for my garden. Will report back later.

• gwpunt2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope so. The seed packet claimed that Tatuma is 'practically immune' to SVB. Time will tell, am about to harvest the first fruit, it had better taste good :-) Trombocino looks WAY too big for my garden. Will report back later.

• gwpunt2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reporting back on Tatuma squash. Wow what a find. They are still producing here in Georgia in late August. Yes they get mildew, some pickle worm, maybe minimal squash vine borer. But they are so productive and keep rooting down and 'starting over'. The fruits are tops in flavor, if they get too big I just scrape out the seeds and pith and they cook up just fine. Smaller ones have tender seeds and edible centers. I don't even refrigerate them after harvest except the really small ones, they sit on the counter for days. I hear they grill up well but I've only roasted or sauted them. Everyone I share them with are in love with Tatuma. My strategy next year is to start a hill at one end of a row and just send it up the row - it is viney - and if necessary take up the old part as it gets ratty. When the foliage is really lush the first half of the season it's actually hard to find the squash in there, another reason to have a long slim row of the things. I've left 2 to mature - they say they also make excellent winter squash, and I want to save some seed, will probably save a few more to be sure there's no cross pollination from any lingering pitiful zukes, etc.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company