Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese cabbage

Posted by Runningirl4 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 16:14

Hello, I am growing Chinese cabbage for the first time. I know that in my area (oregon zone 8) the preferred time is fall rather than spring, but I wanted to give it a try anyways. I have a few plants that are likely bolting. Is it alright to eat a few of the inner leaves of the plant even though they haven't formed heads? Will they taste alright? The outer leaves sure are prickly. I'm new to eating Chinese cabbage as well :)
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese cabbage

Chinese cabbage is an overall term for Oriental brassicas. some are leafy, some semi heading, and some like NAPA are full heading. You will have to adjust for your taste, but you can eat any of them at any stage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese cabbage

o

It is "ok" to eat them if they are starting to bolt or actually have bolted. They are just as nutritious, they just start to get bitter. The more time goes by the more bitter they get. It depends on your tolerance for bitter-tasting things, or on the finickiness of the people you are feeding.

Cool fall temperatures keep it from getting bitter as well as allow them to grow much longer before they bolt.

Stir-fry it with some vinegar and garlic and/or hot sauce.

o

Sure, you can eat it. Flavor is slightly stronger as it bolts, but overall growing conditions probably are a bigger factor in flavor than bolting, bolted cabbage grown under cool, wet conditions still won't be that strong tasting.

Many Asian cuisines prefer various types of Asian brassicas bolted and specifically grow them to use at this stage. There is a large upscale produce market near me that caters to many ethnic clients, and they have various types of blooming bok choi, mustards, etc. for sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here